Underactive thyroid and Shellac peeling?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DixieD

Reaction score
I have a client who comes regular for Shellac polish and they don't last a full 2 weeks without peeling or chipping , they can peel straight off the nails without damaging the nail in any way. The client has good condition nails and I apply the product correctly , I don't have this problem with any other client. She says that she wears gloves when doing washing etc.
This client has Underactive thyroid and I wondered if this could be the reason the Shellac is peeling???
Has anyone come across this problem ????
Would love any advice xxx

I'm not sure about your client but I have an under active thyroid, am on meds and my Shellac lasts two weeks.

I don't know if this will work for you but we had a client with hypothyroidism who had problems with Gelish peeling. What we realized was that her hands were very cold and we weren't doing such a good job getting the basecoat removed, so the new basecoat didn't go on as well and it led to problems. We used mitts and flax bags to warm her hands during the manicure and that helped and it also made her feel good.

Last edited:
Has she chosen to use a different cuticle oil other than Solar Oil? I had a client whose Shellac just peeled off, despite my recommending Solar Oil she bought a cheap oil from a high street shop, it didn't absorb well so the oil caused the Shellac to lift.

I too have an under active thyroid and have no problem wearing Shellac or anything else on my nails. This condition lends itself to nails being too dry if anything, so check there's no delamination.

Latest posts

Back