How to get rid of a difficult client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beauty_nails

Reaction score
Hey there, I've had 3 years of peace without a certain high maintenance client. She was hard to please and extremely belittling. I dreaded any of her nail appointments.

To my dismay, she has reached out again... And I don't want to take her on. Isn't that the beauty of being self employed? But how do I put that into practice in a gentle way?

I won't say, "I'm not taking new clients at this time" as she'll just reach out again in the future.

Feedback is much appreciated.

Hi Beauty_nails

I don’t think I’d worry too much about the future, I’d just focus on now. I’d reply with an enthusiastic “how lovely to hear from you, I do hope you are well. I’m not looking to take on any more clients but I really appreciate your enquiry. Thank you so much for thinking of me. Take care”

Great advice from TheDuchess !
It does seem to me that just maybe she's been removed from another salons' client list to want to return to you after 3 years of peace.
If she has been such hard work elsewhere, then perhaps others are fed up with her picky nature too.
She will soon go down the DIY route as nowhere can do anything right for clients like that. Who needs them? Be firm and mean it when you say no.
Good luck

I don’t know for beauty but as a self employed hairdresser I’ve got rid of a couple of clients after ill health kept me off work for a few months and they stayed elsewhere, after that I realised how toxic they were and how I’d always feel sick or anxious before going to them, I think for your own mental health you need to stay strong on this,
There are some great links on here previously from similar questions.

Could add some thing along the lines of;

I feel I do not provide a service to your satisfaction there for…..

As I felt on our last appointment you disliked XYZ….

My books are closed and I will only be booking in my current clients,…

Or just ghost her?? Make it REALLY difficult for her to book back in,

Or like others have said- be firm and if she insists- raise you prices to a silly amount

or
be firm and chat about what she moans about, ask why when if she’s happy to return why does she say XYZ? What ever the problem is face it head on or say, I will not book you back in
??

Bite the bullet and get rid of her once and for all. Just tell her as "Tracy xox" said above - I feel I do not provide a service to your satisfaction. Job done no stress, block her and don't reply to any further correspondence from her. These people are not worth the sleepless nights and stress. Concentrate on your clients that are good and don't let her rent your head space.

Hi Beauty_nails

I don’t think I’d worry too much about the future, I’d just focus on now. I’d reply with an enthusiastic “how lovely to hear from you, I do hope you are well. I’m not looking to take on any more clients but I really appreciate your enquiry. Thank you so much for thinking of me. Take care”
^^^ This

And if you have online booking you can turn off the profile so it looks like you are blocked out for the century too.

Keep saying no they will get the message eventually

Thank you for considering my services again. Currently, I'm focusing on providing the best experience to existing clients, and unfortunately, I won't be able to accommodate additional appointments at this time. I appreciate your understanding and wish you the best in finding a suitable nail professional.

Latest posts

Back