Unsure of employing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeautyPrincess.

Reaction score
As most of you's know ive been open a short while now, i have a 2 year old boy and to be honest the saying 'terrible 2's' is sooo true! my mum has him while im at work but she cant really handle him as she has a bad back, my boyfriend has recently finished his work to look after our child, however he cries all day long for me (he's mummys boy not daddys haha), so i was thinking about looking for a part timer? is the wage going to be expensive? what do you's all think?

thanks in advance :hug:

Last edited:
Just my opinion but I think you might find it tough going financially with a non-earning boyfriend AND a part-timers wage to pay.

Good luck Hunny

Sx

This is exactly why I have put off pursuing opening a new shop.

Child care is so expensive, and you really don't know what's going on while you are gone.

Maybe you can hire someone to rent/ share space during the times you won't be there. Keep in mind, it may not be a perfect situation. Maybe keep it temperary?

Hiring someone will definately cost some pennies and extra hassle that may be too much.

Could your mom and boyfriend can share the responsibility? At least until he starts pre-school?

I wish you all the best and hope you find a solution that's best for everyone :D

thanks :hug: yes i know it is finacially hard, he is a welder anyway so he is always getting laid off work, its life im affraid :rolleyes:, thats a great idea, any ideas what sort of things they could do though, i do nails, beauty treatments and spray tans lol

thanks again :hug:

If you have enough space, why not rent a space to a hairdresser - There wouldn't be any conflict of interest and you might even boost each others client bases.

Sx

my salon doesnt have enough space im affraid :( x

With 2 of you not working plus a wage bill, surely that would make life harder?

i would still be working, just not full time everyday

There's lots of things involved with employing. Firstly you have to contact HMRC to become an employer, then you have to work some sort of payroll and (possibly) deduct your employee's tax and NI.

An employee contact must written and employers' insurance must be purchased.

All in all it's quite complicated and expensive (especially for small businesses!) and it just seems like extra trouble for you to worry about, when it sounds like you've got enough on your plate already.

It may be a better option to close shop for a couple of hours a day and make no profit rather than pay somebody to be there and, potentially, loose money:)

jes

Winter is coming, it might be wise to close a couple of hours a day, maybe do split shifts, like 8 am to 1pm, close 1 to 4, re-open 4 to 7. Make sure you keep it consistent, post the hours on your door and message machine. The break in the day will help, and if your son is with dad, he can see you in the middle of the day so you can spend time with him. If your son is staying with your mom, she can get a little break.

The other option I was thinking of which you would have to be creative on, perhaps share responsibility with another mom. Say, you work days and she keeps your son, she works nights and you keep her child. It's hard to know how others raise their children, it might be worth a try :hug:

Latest posts

Back