Urgent advice needed about training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiematthews

Reaction score
Hi im very excited to be embarking on training to be a nail technician, and hope to eventually be fully qualified and well practiced in every aspect of this skilled profession. I want to get started on a course as soon as possible but not totally sure who to train with.
Q1.... Im thinking of using "next step beauty", they have practical days in Derby near me, and they look well accreditied (if that's the right word-sorry) and were very nice on the phone, but with money so short and the full nail technician course with them approx. £400, I obviously want to make sure im doing the right thing. Can anyone give me some reccomendations about where to train, I need to do most of it through home tutorials, and the practical sessions need to be in Derby/ Nottingham area.
Q2 ...Does anyone know about the complete kit next step beauty sell? Does it have everything I need and are the components good quality? For example whats the best lamp to have? Where should I get my kit and polishes and lamp etc if not this kit from the above?
Q3 I want to set up my own business and obviously gel polish is really vital at the moment and I wonder if I should do a specific course by SHELLEC? And should I only use their polishes? And which lamp? And is that the same lamp used for other methods? I told you I was a complete beginner lol!!! Would be so grateful for any advice and guidance cos I really want to get this right and get the best qualifications (ive already chosen where to hang my framed certificates!!Getting carried away, like I said im really excited. x

Hi. Have you spoken to White Rose Beauty College? They do NVQ VTCT quals and you can get a student loan. Takes longer but you will get thorough knowledge and very creditable qualification. (Not saying others are not)!

You are in the same area as me and my head is spinning with looking at nail courses!! Lol
I am hoping to train with White Rose, I have an interview next week eeek! As far as I am aware they offer the full NVQ 2 Diploma in nail services and the next start date they have is January. Hoping I will have more info next week :0)
They were really nice when I spoke to them on the phone, give them a ring :0)

Sent from my C6603 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi im very excited to be embarking on training to be a nail technician, and hope to eventually be fully qualified and well practiced in every aspect of this skilled profession. I want to get started on a course as soon as possible but not totally sure who to train with.
I want to set up my own business and obviously gel polish is really vital at the moment and I wonder if I should do a specific course by SHELLEC? And should I only use their polishes? And which lamp? And is that the same lamp used for other methods? I told you I was a complete beginner lol!!! Would be so grateful for any advice and guidance cos I really want to get this right and get the best qualifications (ive already chosen where to hang my framed certificates!!Getting carried away, like I said im really excited. x

Hello Katie, welcome to salongeek and welcome to the world of the Nail professional :)

You seem really keen and excited and that's great. I've worked in the nail industry for 15 years can can honestly say it's the best thing ever and I wouldn't change it for the world - even if I won the lottery I'd keep doing nails! The opportunities we have daily to be creative, bring joy to all different types of people and form rewarding professional relationships with our clients is a beautiful thing.

My advice to you is to be very careful when selecting training. There are lots of different options as you have already seen, but as you want to be fully qualified and well practiced in every aspect of the profession I would suggest a course that covers everything right from the start, a course designed for complete beginners who want to transport themselves to the highest level of professionalism and are serious about doing it properly. Money may be short but honestly a 'full nail technician course' for the price you mentioned seems unnervingly cheap and I'd be wondering what is missing from this package. Learning from home tutorials is a tough undertaking.
To get everything you are hoping for I recommend 'CND Complete'. It's certainly more expensive than the course you mention in your post, but you learn EVERYTHING including the original CND Shellac (so need need for a separate course after), Spa Manicuring and Pedicuring, Nail Enhancements and how to maintain them with CND's award winning Liquid & Powder and Gel systems all using methods that are meant to work together (i.e, same lamp for all systems). Everything you need kit wise is included in the price of the course too. You will be expected to practice at home in between different days of the course, but you will do your core learning on site with a highly qualified CND Education Ambassador there to help you.
Give Sweet Squared a call for more info on the cost and value of the kit etc, they will also be able to put you in contact with your local CND Ambassador.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide! :)

Thanks so much for all the advice I now think I definitely need to shop around and not rush into anything. Next step beauty say they are accredited by babtac and I think they are linked to insurance but I don't really know about that part although I realise being insured is important but don't really know what it insures you for. Everyplace ive looked into so far seem to have different accreditations but I have no idea which accreditations are the best. I really want to get a complete kit to start practising as im pretty much starting from scratch. Does anyone know of a good kit I can buy before I enrol on a course? I will definitely contact the places you recommend and hope you will keep in touch, Im really pleased ive found this site thanks again will keep you posted. x

Evening,

I have just qualified with Next Step Beauty in the 'complete nail technician course' as well as a pedicure course with them. It was full on but I really enjoyed it and my tutor Sarah was extremely well qualified and lovely!

Rather than purchase the kit they were selling I sourced my own kits. It was hassle but cheaper because I was able to get a trade card with Capital hair and Beauty and Salon Services.

Since qualifying I have completed a CND Shellac brings them back course and registered with Sweet Squared.

I also purchased a nail trainer from eBay to get extra practice which, if you don't have plenty of willing live models is well worth it.

Hope all this information helps. X

Latest posts

Back