Very bad feet-pedicure help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilymayc

Reaction score
Im after some advice on dry pedicures. I have a client booked in for August for a number of treatments before she goes away on holiday. I had a look at her feet this morning and they are in a poor condition and will need a lot of work done to them. The only trouble is at the moment I only really offer a 'file and paint' style pedicure with a bit of cuticle work as I don't have the facilities to do a pedicure where I soak the feet. This lady seems like she would be a really good loyal customer if she was happy with the treatment and I know I will get lots of other customers with feet in a similar condition (I am new to my rented treatment room so building up clients slowly) can anyone recommend the best foot files and how they carry out their treatments please!! I have tried looking into electric foot files but not sure if they are really worth the money? Also what foot creams do you use that really work? I use OPI products but have never tried their foot creams and to be honest I want to use something recommended as I feel people have high expectations for noticeably soft feet after a pedicure! I'd really appreciate any advice!! Thank you!!

Get yourself a microplane from sweet squared. They are brilliant. I couldn't be without mine.
No need to soak. You Use it dry. They aren't expensive either. x

I second the micro plane - brilliant. You can also retail them so clients can keep better care of their feet between appointments.

I second the micro plane - brilliant. You can also retail them so clients can keep better care of their feet between appointments.

Do you have the regular one or the colossal one?

When you say you haven't facilities to soak feet, is that due to lack of space or lack of hot water?
Are you currently performing pedicures with the client sat up on the couch?

Products- there are lots of good pedicure ranges available. CND spa, kaeso, Jessica to name just a few. Have a look at at what your usual wholesaler is selling first as that will be convenient for you. Perhaps use the same brand as your polishes?

Micro plane foot files are good. I use a file and an electric one too. The clients seem to like gadgets and they do smooth the dry skin well.
A hot oil pedi is a possibility using heated boots for feet that need lots of hydration

Do you have the regular one or the colossal one?
I wouldn't use a metal pedi-file. They do a fabulous but only temporary job. On the contrary, on the long run, they have been proven to make the feet worse...So your client will be fine for a few days after every appointment, but after a year the problem will have doubled! It doesn't happen to all clients though but you can never know, can you?

Instead I use an e-file with a sand-band that can be replaced for every client.
And on some specific family members and friends I finish with a hand-held wooden file, because they really can't stand the e-file much and they can nag about it just because they are friends! They aren't so easy to wash and dissinfect though. There are some that you can change the sanding plate. And some of those friends prefer to just buy one for themselves and bring them for every appointment. They do need to be told to clean them thoroughly though, and I dissinfect them myself before I start. I wouldn't do it on a customer however.

I wouldn't use a metal pedi-file. They do a fabulous but only temporary job. On the contrary, on the long run, they have been proven to make the feet worse...So your client will be fine for a few days after every appointment, but after a year the problem will have doubled! It doesn't happen to all clients though but you can never know, can you?

And on some specific family members and friends I finish with a hand-held wooden file, because they really can't stand the e-file much and they can nag about it just because they are friends! They aren't so easy to wash and dissinfect though. There are some that you can change the sanding plate. And some of those friends prefer to just buy one for themselves and bring them for every appointment. They do need to be told to clean them thoroughly though, and I dissinfect them myself before I start. I wouldn't do it on a customer however.

Can I ask where you got your e file from?

I've been using the microplane for 2 years now and none of my clients feet have got worse as you put it.
Most of them don't even need regular pedis anymore because it's done such a great job of removing hard skin etc.

Pretty much every client of mine has commented on how great the results are and how quick it is. :)

I'd like to see more information on where it has been proven that metal files make your skin worse. I can understand with some of the non professional foot files that are on the market but not decent pro versions

I've been using the microplane for 2 years now and none of my clients feet have got worse as you put it.
Most of them don't even need regular pedis anymore because it's done such a great job of removing hard skin etc.

Pretty much every client of mine has commented on how great the results are and how quick it is. :)

I'd like to see more information on where it has been proven that metal files make your skin worse. I can understand with some of the non professional foot files that are on the market but not decent pro versions

I'm glad for you.
I only had one case like that too, my mother actually (long before I started this seriously but was flirting with the idea of getting a qualification) had a serious condition of warts-caluses. She even got a laser therapy and it only half worked. But she asked her doctor and I got to talk to him, and he advised her (and me) that I should stay off metal pedi-files, for her at least because they were making her case worse. I really can't recall the how's and the why's, I wasn't qualified back then. I just took his word of advice since he was a very known respected dermatologist in our area.

So I got a cheap e-file, from the ones that are for personal use, just for that reason, and I started using that on her and she has improved, or at least not got worse, since her problem is persisting. It could be that my metal file wasn't professional at the time, and you could be right. Or it could be that my mother, who never listens to my advice, just picks her caluses every time they hurt her, without telling me. Trust me she's been scolded more than enough for that.
Or it could just be that we have a genetic kind of problem because both my brother and my grandma had similar cases, and I just can't blame their work for that. I really don't know how my father and I got off so easily! hehehe!
But the doctor got me scared enough to quit the metal files and instead turn to sanding ones. Even now, I still avoid them. Who knows?
Truth be told, I didn't have any other case like that from other ppl, even when I was using my metal file to the rest of family & friends back then. Perhaps I should get a new metal file and try it again. I do get fabulous results from my e-file though, so I don't see the point. And it's so much faster!

I started with the colossal but skin went everywhere so I now use the regular. Works perfectly.

Have you looked into Callus Peel? Perhaps she would benefit from this kind of hard skin removal.

Have you looked into Callus Peel? Perhaps she would benefit from this kind of hard skin removal.

No I hadn't to be honest, we didn't cover anything like that at college. Would you really recommend then? Can I ask what brand you use?

I use "Callus Peel" . It's pretty straight forward

I second callus peel! I love it and it's so easy xx

I use "Callus Peel" . It's pretty straight forward
Sweet! I saw their youtube video. It seems amazing and I had never tried it!
I think I'll get their starter kit!

Can I be really silly and ask for a bit more advice on how you use this? I've just received mine in the post after your recommendation and not going to lie, I find it pretty daunting!! I'm scared I'm going to slice someone's feet! I don't know if it's just because I don't have any callus' that I find it too rough for my feet. Do you only use it on severely rough feet? What if the callus is cracked is it still OK to use? I've seen lots of great reviews on it so sure it's fab I'm just worried I'm going to nick someone's skin! I'd really appreciate your help and advice!

Can I be really silly and ask for a bit more advice on how you use this? I've just received mine in the post after your recommendation and not going to lie, I find it pretty daunting!! I'm scared I'm going to slice someone's feet! I don't know if it's just because I don't have any callus' that I find it too rough for my feet. Do you only use it on severely rough feet? What if the callus is cracked is it still OK to use? I've seen lots of great reviews on it so sure it's fab I'm just worried I'm going to nick someone's skin! I'd really appreciate your help and advice!

I know what you mean as I felt the same when I first got it as it looks like a cheese grater! Lol
I use it in most of my pedicures (bar those that are regular and don't need hard skin removal) .
I've never cut anyone and I've been using it for a few years now. In my opinion I think it's pretty hard to cut someone using it. And I find that it only takes off so much skin (as in hard/calluses skin) like it won't take off soft skin. (Obviously don't apply too much pressure)

When it comes to cracked skin, as long as it isn't sore it should be fine. But you'll be able to judge that when you do your consultation. I also stock callus peel for those that have severe calluses but to be honest I haven't needed to use those for a very long time.

Practice on someone you know, go gently with it and you'll easily get a feel for it :) xx

Is the microplan file like a cheese crater they are illegal where I live if not I would love to.try one!

Latest posts

Back