Was I ripped off?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikala-nails

Reaction score
Hiya,
I trained in a shop using NSI back in March, when I got my certificate sent out to me it was just the name of the shop I trained in with my name and 'acrylic Application' written on (In very scruffy writing may I add)
Back in March I didn't know much about nails as I was just starting from scratch, I felt like I needed more training as I didn't feel I was as good as I could be so I'm now currently doing a Young Nails course.
I've come to realise that my first certificate means absolutely nothing as no wholesalers/retailers would accept that certificate,my trainer said I will get a Young Certificate which means I can get all my stock directly from them but shouldn't my first certificate of been the same but for NSI?
I've messaged the shop to ask them why I wasn't given an NSI certificate when that's who I trained with but they have ignored me.
Just wanted to know where I stand really and is it write that they can charge over £300 for a course that I basically get nothing out of?
I've been told to phone NSI to see if they can tell me if the shop is even allowed/insured to be training with their products.
Sorry for the essay but just wanted to know what you all think?
Thanks in advance x

Just because the shop used NSI when you trained with them doesn't mean it us an accredited NSI course. I could show someone how to do Shellac but they wouldn't get a Shellac certificate at the end of it. You would need to train through the company directly. Also you haven't trained with NSI, you have trained with the shop, using NSI products.

Just because the shop used NSI when you trained with them doesn't mean it us an accredited NSI course. I could show someone how to do Shellac but they wouldn't get a Shellac certificate at the end of it. You would need to train through the company directly. Also you haven't trained with NSI, you have trained with the shop, using NSI products.
Ahhh ok.i was unsure because the lady I'm doing a Young Nails refresher course with is teaching me in her shop yet I get a Young Certificate at the end of it.
I literally couldn't even get a Sally's card with the one they gave me! Xx

Some people will do anything to earn a quick buck! Best way to make sure you don't get ripped off is to contact the companies direct and they will give you the information for their training. If the salon advertised as being official Nsi trainers then you might have a case to get your money back but it would probably be difficult.

Some people will do anything to earn a quick buck! Best way to make sure you don't get ripped off is to contact the companies direct and they will give you the information for their training. If the salon advertised as being official Nsi trainers then you might have a case to get your money back but it would probably be difficult.
Yeah I found my Youngs trainer through their website,I was abit blind to it then because I knew nothing about nails but I'm more wise to it now..I have no idea how she expected me to get my stock ect..
Thank you for your reply :) xx

To be honest she probably didn't care if you could get stock! She had her money and that's all she was bothered about. It's so annoying for you though, silly woman will get her comeuppance one day.

Was this a 1 day course? If so£300 sounds like a lot!! Did you get any kit for that price? Do you feel like you learnt anything or took anything away from that course? (regardless of the scruffy certificate!)

Was this a 1 day course? If so£300 sounds like a lot!! Did you get any kit for that price? Do you feel like you learnt anything or took anything away from that course? (regardless of the scruffy certificate!)
It was a 3 day course,and no I had to buy my kit separate!
No I was sort of left after,I asked her if I could go back to go over infills but she didn't want to know! Everything I know now has been from tutorials,but I'm in the middle of a refresher course with Youngs and this teacher is amazing so now I know exactly what I'm doing!
Just annoying really but then I didn't know any better xx

To be honest she probably didn't care if you could get stock! She had her money and that's all she was bothered about. It's so annoying for you though, silly woman will get her comeuppance one day.
I know,oh well I'll live and learn [emoji85] xx

Just thought I'd update everyone..I got in touch with trading standards and the girl who trained me wasn't a qualified teacher and I got my full refund back!
I'm now fully qualified and insured with young nails and id never go into a course without researching first [emoji85] amazing what people do to make abit of money xx

Just thought I'd update everyone..I got in touch with trading standards and the girl who trained me wasn't a qualified teacher and I got my full refund back!
I'm now fully qualified and insured with young nails and id never go into a course without researching first [emoji85] amazing what people do to make abit of money xx
That really good to hear. Well done x

Latest posts

Back