Wedding make up timing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim_S

Reaction score
I normally do special event makeup however I have agreed to do a wedding and there are six ladies in total (including the bride). It will be a BIG morning but I am confident in my timing (allowing 35 mins per bridesmaid and an hour to an hour and fifteen on the bride). This timing has been factored in with the hairdresser and the bride is happy with it. I feel very organised however - at what stage do I do the bride's makeup? First? Last? In between? I have heard so many mixed ideas on this! My thoughts was to do her makeup mid way. That way a few bridesmaids are already done and ready to set up (or any other bridesmaid duties), I can do the bride's makeup, finish the last two girls and then complete any touch ups on the bride's makeup if need be as it will have had a little amount of time to settle.

What are your thoughts or experiences for scheduling a large bridal party for makeup?

I tend to go with the flow of the hairdresser and everyone else. I generally do the bride last but am always flexible. I may put the brides base on and then start someone else. Your timings are similar to mine although I often take less with the bride as long as the trial run went smoothly! Try not to over think it and it will be easier.

Good luck

Vic x

I also only do one wedding per day and I don't leave until everyone is totally happy. I was doing make up at a wedding and the hairdresser rushed everyone through with a comment of "you're not the only one getting married today!"

Nice x

I usually do the bridesmaids first then the bride last (this is usually what they request too), especially by the time you get to the bride, the photographer is there etc.

I speak to the hairdresser upon arrival to see what her her plans / schedule is and work alongside her :) x

I work around the hairdresser usually. It doesn't really matter what order you do it in, as long as you're leaving enough time and the bride isn't rushed.

@squidernetball I cannot believe a professional would say that, how awful! I'm definately sticking to one wedding per day...that's enough for me stress-wise let alone timing-wise, haha! I'm happy to get this wedding under my belt for my portfolio but I feel much less pressured when I'm just doing special event makeup. :confused:

Thanks so much for all your input ladies, it really is appreciated! I've taken it on board and have since altered my time slots and I'll do the bride second last. It's this Saturday so I will check back in and let you all know how I go x

Sorry for the late reply but I don't come on here much (too busy working). Not sure if you have done this wedding now if you have how did it go?

Anyhoo, in answer to you question, see how the bride feels on the day. If she is stressed to the max then get her done pronto. Getting a job off her list will help to calm her. She should know from the trial that her make-up will last all day and know that you will touch it up before you leave.

If she is well chilled I would do her a bit later but definitely not last (unless you time it so you are done a good hour or 2 before she needs to leave). She has other shit to do like get dressed and have a drink with her family, have some photos done etc. I usually do a bridesmaid last while all this is going on.

Latest posts

Back