Wella hair colour gone wrong

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chloe1982

Reaction score
Hi can anyone help me?! I coloured a customers hair yesterday with wella koleston perfect colour. Her hair was originally bleach highlights which I have done previously (once) and had about a inch of regrowth on top apart from underneath which was more like 3 inches of regrowth all base of about a 6/7. I done the usual skin test 48 hours before as I have never coloured her hair before on the scalp and showed her the colour chart along side the pictures she had sent me and chose a colour. I then went to the wholesalers and got some more colour and spoke to someone there who advised me that the colour I had picked was definitely closest to the picture. So yesterday morning I double checked when I arrived with the customer the colour choice and both agreed it was the right colour and then mixed up the colour ready. I mixed up 3/4 of 55/65 and 1/4 of 55/0 with 6% for the root regrowth and with 3% for the mid lengths and ends (all bleach blonde) to ensure it would come out even, left on for 30 mins and checked and was ready to come off. When I dried it I realised it was more like a in between of a 55/66 and 33/66. I'm completely baffled as to why it would come out like this and not how it was supposed to! I took a test piece to see how the colour would strip out and how the condition of the hair would be and tried bleach with 6% and it lifted in 10 mins but felt very stringy so didn't advise doing it. Has anyone else had this happen to them or have any ideas as what to do to remove the colour and get a red colour?
Thank you
Chloe

Last edited:
Sorry, but I'm confused why you applied bleach & 6% to a test piece after colouring her hair?

Sorry, but I'm confused why you applied bleach & 6% to a test piece after colouring her hair?

To try and see how the condition of the hair would be if I was to bleach bath the whole lot to remove the colour as it didn't come out the colour we wanted

Ok, I'll preface this by saying I'm not a Wella expert but did you try pre-pigging the 'bleach blonde' before applying the tint? If not, then it shouldn't be a surprise that the colour didn't look like the colour swatch in the tint chart.

Also, on previously bleached hair, as it's likely to be more porous, you're generally better off colouring with a demi or semi such as Colour Touch and not a permanent tint.

Are you still training or recently qualified perhaps? Do you know anything about colour removers as that would be a better option than bleach plus 6%, although if your client wants to be red, you shouldn't really need to remove the existing colour, just amend it.

How red does your client want to go?

OK so you the colour had grabbed because the hair is porous, I always use colour touch over lightened hair, I always feel it gives a more even result, plus it's much easier to apply.

The colour will fade very quickly so don't worry about it being to dark, it will lift out soon.

Also you have said you don't know why it hasn't come out RED. you have mixed a Violet mahogany, so it's much more on the Violet side of red.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back