Wella Highlift Advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jooles

Reaction score
CONNELL60

CONNELL60

Hi everyone

(I have just added pictures)

I have only just found this forum and have spent the last few days browsing all the topics and must say it's an absolute godsend, so thank you to everyone for all the usefull information.
I have just completed my NVQ Level 2 hairdressing and will be doing my Level 3 in September at college, I have however been doing the odd mobile client in my spare time and now that I have my full qualification I will be hoping to steadily build up my client base. The problem I have at the moment is confidence in myself, I have been told I have excellent hairdressing skills from my tutors, yet when they are not there and Im dealing with a new colour for a client, I always seem to doubt myself. I have no problems with adding colour, but when it comes to lightening I hesitate, then get myself all confused. I have now got a new client who has a base shade between 6-7 (more on the 6 side) only a few grey hairs present. She last had highlights in Feb this year so her regrowth is approx 3" plus, she explained that bleach was not used even though it is quite light and I have noticed slight gold tones present, her hair is waist length. She asked if she could go a bit lighter but I told her tint wont lift tint and that bleach would need to be used. I advised that I try to match up her current colour by foiling the roots with a 12/3, then maybe do some very fine bleach highlights (she doesnt want full had bleach H/L) and she has agreed.
But now I'm doubting myself, the 12/3 looked like a good match but im panicking incase the roots dont match up to her original colour and she ends up lighter/darker on the root area.
Unfortunately I don't have any pictures to send so I know it will probably be hard to give any info/advice but any help will be much appreciated. Also I have only ever used l'oreal milkshake as toners (college switched back to wella last term) would it be advisable to have a toner in handy just incase?

many thanks in advance.

Jooles xx

Last edited:
Don't use gold, whan you light hair from this base level it will throw off alot of warmth anyways, I'd use 12/1 problably with 40vol.
Wella do courses, I seriously recommend you go on a few, especially baginners and then blonde, as tech only offers the basics and if you are not in a salon then you have no1 to help guide you with your colour choices. Good luck :hug: x

Hi there,
I have only recently qualified myself, so not 100percent sure about giving colour advice but I wouldn't use a 12/3. I think it would go quite gold. The warmth in you client's hair is probably just her natural gold pigments in her hair that come out when you're lifting it. I used 12/61 on a base 6/7 and it still came out quite warm. If she really likes the warmth you could just go for a 12. Hope this helps!
kate

I find well high lifts all to be fairly warm compRed to the shade chart. I would use 12/1 and 12% as previously suggested.

Good luck! X

I have found that the 12/0 seems to lift the most...I dont know weather its because its only lifting rather than lifting AND toning? Does anyone else find the 12/0 lifts really well?

Be careful with the likes of 12/81 because sometimes they can come out really ashy, once left a purple cast over my clients hair...

And I know they say tint wont lift tint....i have found this is not the case with high lifts....if you put high lift over another highlift from a couple of months previous...it generally will lift it lighter...so be careful.

x

hairpic2.jpg

hairpic1.jpg

I have managed to take a few pictures, would the 12/1 or 12/0 be suitable as I don't want the roots to appear lighter/darker.

Many thanks again for all your advice :hug:

i wud use 12/0. jus lookin at that pic gives me the 12/0 feeling, if ur doing a few bleachy ones i wudnt use a higher peroxide than 4 either, it looks like it will lift pretty quick on the roots. x

Latest posts

Back