Wella Koleston for a new color correction - queries & thoughts

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raitervid

Reaction score
Hi everyone

So I was wondering the best way to go about fixing a little Wella color mistake. I've got hair that was dark brown bleached to a mostly yellow (w slight pale orange warmth at minimal spots).

Anyhow, this was dyed with a 4A (Medium Ash Brown) Wella Color Charm with a half 30/half 40 developer, and the results were good. Just a WEE shade too light I would say. And I could see that maybe in the next wash the lightest parts might get a bit on the brassy orange side. So I decided to re-dye with the same color though with a 30 developer. This time, the hair went ruby reddish though darker. The shade was fine, and I thought the redness could be corrected with a 7A base green; but instead, everything is dark (more or less it's natural color) with a soft hint of deep cool brown in the sun. But pretty much dark.

As someone who thinks natural hair is better anyway, I don't really take all of this too seriously and wanted to have a bit of fun with the hair for once. It's been about 10 years since I used to dye it regularly in the blondes and browns range. Anyway, we all know now that the colors should have been developed with a 20 vol and processed for WAY less time (I would say 5-10 min versus the 30 min instructed on the box).

ANYhow, some slight damage but 2 weeks of intensive repair have done a great job at hair salvation. So now that were basically back to the natural color in an artificial way, I was thinking of, again, how to get this crystal light ash brown sort of a shade. So as a plan of action, I was thinking of removing what color there is with a color remover (one n only colorfix) and then lightening any stubborn muddy or red areas with Wella's Blondor Soft Blonde Cream Lightener with the KP developer 20 vol.

Now assuming all goes well and the hair is back to its yellow shade, I was thinking then of dyeing with a Koleston 7/11 or 6/11. The truth is the desired shade is 6/11 TO THE TEE. The thing is now I'm wary about the color selections, as they went WAY darker on the bleached hair (my fault), and I have also read that the Koleston shades should be selected at a shade lighter since they tend to go darker. If this is true, I should technically go with a 7/11, no? Also, no one really ever believes me, but my hair, when bleached, tinted, or dyed ANY shade, tends to go R E D big time. So, with that said and to avoid making the same mistake twice, I was thinking of maybe adding the 0/11 special mix to the color to make sure and get rid of any stubborn orange or red tones. So I was wondering if I should in fact go with the lighter shade 7/11 versus the 6/11 even though the 6/11 is truly the exact color desired. Is the special mix 0/11 a good idea? Are there any better suggestions? Lol sorry to bombard with this huge mess, but I figured I would try and reach out and see what those more experienced have to say.

I really appreciate everyone's help!

Omg! What are you doing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using SalonGeek mobile app

What the what? What tsparker said. And let me guess, lots of youtubes were watched to get this color. Can't even :eek:

Sorry guys xx

This one takes the cake. Some people's poor hair!

Agree with ts sparkler and Satchel. Your poor hair!!

Go to a salon instead of spending all that money ruining your hair!

Im really confused...

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Why do people belive it is acceptable to do this?

I mean, at least read the manufacturers instructions! I know color charm doesn't requi 35 vol for darkening.

Latest posts

Back