Wella kp v Illumina!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickiemma

Reaction score
Hello!
Am I right in thinking 7/7 in illumina is more ash based than 7/7 in koleston? I have a client whose not to keen on any warmth in her hair and is wanting a depth of a 7, I could even go to a 6, but I haven't worked with illumina before, she doesn't mind being my guinea pig luckily 😊 thanks

Hello!
Am I right in thinking 7/7 in illumina is more ash based than 7/7 in koleston? I have a client whose not to keen on any warmth in her hair and is wanting a depth of a 7, I could even go to a 6, but I haven't worked with illumina before, she doesn't mind being my guinea pig luckily 😊 thanks

Then why not use a cool shade rather than 7/7?

I want to try out the illumina, as I say iv never used it before, the client is a friend and she doesn't mind me trying things out on her, she just doesn't want the warmth .... We are hopefully getting the whole range if illumina in after Xmas and just thought I'd try it out and try and get a bit of knowledge about he product before hand :)

Still.. Even in Illumina you could use an ashy shade.. Such as 7/89?

But technically, yes it would be a tiny bit ashier I believe because of the base, but as its at a level 7 and the violet undertones won't counteract anything it'll be such a minimal difference you wouldn't notice.

It's noticed more for toning blondes at a level 9/10 where violet is what you need.

The violet undertones generally make it a more iridescent type of look as opposed to actually seeing violet on the hair.

I want to try out the illumina, as I say iv never used it before, the client is a friend and she doesn't mind me trying things out on her, she just doesn't want the warmth .... We are hopefully getting the whole range if illumina in after Xmas and just thought I'd try it out and try and get a bit of knowledge about he product before hand :)

Use a cool shade in illumina then. /7 is warm. What's her natural depth?

I don't have a colour chart for illumina so I'm not aware of the shades they do, I was just doing an order on capital and seen they stocked it, had a look through and seen the 7/7.... 7/7 is one if my favs in koleston so just wondered what the difference would be....as I say training etc is in the new year for us, just trying to learn a bit myself before hand as to why they would have 2 7/7 unless it had a difference.... She is naturally a base 8 and has been having an ombré with 8.0 and toned to a 10 on the ends, she just wanted slightly deeper but not the warmth.

[Q UOTE=nickiemma;2339136]I don't have a colour chart for illumina so I'm not aware of the shades they do, I was just doing an order on capital and seen they stocked it, had a look through and seen the 7/7.... 7/7 is one if my favs in koleston so just wondered what the difference would be....as I say training etc is in the new year for us, just trying to learn a bit myself before hand as to why they would have 2 7/7 unless it had a difference.... She is naturally a base 8 and has been having an ombré with 8.0 and toned to a 10 on the ends, she just wanted slightly deeper but not the warmth.[/QUOTE]

What makes illumina different is the fact it's translucent, rather than opaque like koleston perfect and other permanent colours. It also has superior light reflection, which is really hard to get for blondes but illumina allows that light reflection. It has a violet base to cut out them warm tones rather than having a brunette base like koleston!

Fab! That's what I needed to know :) thankyou very much 😊

I'm really excited about using it (hence the jumping ahead of myself before knowing the colours!) 😊x

I'm really excited about using it (hence the jumping ahead of myself before knowing the colours!) 😊x

It's amazing for toning too! 9/60 is REALLY powerful!

Really? That's fab, we for some reason in salon do a lot of blondes and timing so that will be really useful :) x

Really? That's fab, we for some reason in salon do a lot of blondes and timing so that will be really useful :) x

Yeah I would expect you'd need to leave 9/60 on longer than 60 seconds! X

Ahhh great! Think il order that now :)

Haha excellent!! Anything to make life easier! Thankyou very much for ur help!! 😃x

7/7 is very warm! In both Illumina and koleston

Illumina colors are violet based vs KP colors which are brown based. Illumina will therefore control the warmth a bit more than KP. However, 7/7 is still a warm color (the brunette tone is made up of red, gold and a tiny bit of violet) so if you don't want any warmth you'd want to use a cool shade in the 7/ range to better control exposing underlying warmth.

Also, if you're transitioning from KP -> illumina you may want to cleanse the previously tinted hair as KP is more saturated and heavier than the result you'd get from illumina.

I hope that helps!

Latest posts

Back