What do I need to train as laser therapist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazzybabe

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have my nvq level 2 in beauty therapy but I have also done body massage, anatomy and physiology and microdermabrasion, now these are all equivalent to nvq 3 is that right? I have an opportunity to train as a laser therapist but this means going back to college to study nvq level 3 in beauty therapy? I didn't know if there was any way around this where I can just train in the laser therapy other than doing all units that I hVe already done in a college course for nvq level 3 beauty.

Hope I've made sense
X

Hi, you do make sense ;) i believe that in order to do laser you need an electrolysis qualification, which is in the nvq level three beauty. although you have studied some courses at level three, this is not equivalent to an nvq level three in beauty. also the general route in level three beauty includes face and body electricals, on top of massage, a&p and electrolysis etc, so although you have done microdermabraison and massage you still wouldnt have enough credits to be equivalent to an nvq 3 xx (now i hope i make sense!) x

From what I understand you DO NOT need to have a level 3 beauty to study laser just the level 4 core of knowledge and high capital.

It does depend on laser though as tattoo removal laser,hair ,scarring e.t.c
For hair removal it is stricter than say tattoo as a therapist should also be trained in the use of the laser equipment for your treatment. The minimum requirements for the person in charge (owner) are that they hold a current Registration on Healthcare certificate, have training on the laser equipment, and have attended a laser safety study day.

The minimum training they should have received on the laser equipment should cover the hazards of using a particular machine, risk assessments, a certificate of competency and proof of their training. It is also strongly advised that they have training in basic CPR and first aid, and general health and safety awareness.

it is also required by law that practitioners who carry out laser hair removal procedures are insured. There are two different types of insurance needed: public liability/employer liability and professional indemnity insurance. They must also have current membership of an appropriate professional organisation.

Latest posts

Back