What do you all do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buttercup Honey

Reaction score
with clients who have had highlights for years and gradually getting so white that they not really doing the trick anymore? Do you just go for all over tint and highlight over it? Just wondering as I think tints with highlights are never the same, always look a bit false???

Hello, I would first discuss with your clients if they are happy with this look. I have got clients who have gone for this purposly because they like the all over bleached look, with out having to have a block colour and its much easier on the re growth etc too. If the client is not happy with their "white" look, I would discuss with them what they want to be done about it, do they want some of their base colour back, or say a couple shaded lighter than base?? Do they still want the blonde look, but a bit more natural, I think it only looks false if you go to dark with the other colour and/or do the hi lights too chunky, eg bleached hi lights with say a base 5 is going to look unnatural, but with a base say 7 or above with a very fine weave, and maby a couple more colours in the mix would look more subtle. I would not colour over the whole head and re hilight, no way, think of the breakage of re bleaching over all that old bleach. I would add another couple colours and weave realy fine on an angle so as not to make it stripy. Discuss with them what they want, you never know they may all be very happy witht he look they already have xx

I use 11n goldwell then tone with RIchesse frosted milkshake takes the hair to a natural blonde rather than white plus still having natural tones. Goldwell also do natural pastel colours that have multiple tones to slighty warm with mixing 3 different colours.

I begin by flooding between with a fairly sheer semi, and gradually go permanent in between. highlights on grey hair is a bit of an old fashioned look.

matrix dreamage line is designed to cover 100% white hair (which is the only thing i like by matrix) and that line has some nice tones. maybe weave in some of that instead of highlights so you'll get a multi-tonal effect instead of making it all "white"? if your client is used to only highlights and no base, they might not like that harsh line they'll get as its growing out.

Thanks very much for the replies guys:)
Sarah, I have discussed this with the client at great length and she LOVES her highlights and is still happy with her colour. She does not want to change tone or depth at all and can live with a few white ones blended in.
Simba and Joro, I am only familiar with Wella and some L'Oreal so would not be happy trying out new lines when I'm not working in a salon.
Persianista, you have me intrigued:eek: Are you saying before you approached the head with an easimeche you would do all root area first with a semi? Then easimeche afterwards? I'm thinking here that the highlights would not be down to the root?

Put the highlights in, then in between the highlights apply either a semi or a permanent.

Thanks persianista:)
Do you know of any online tutorials which would show this method?
I would love to have access to different techniques and would not mind paying a subscription.

Latest posts

Back