What is customary to offer when training staff?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riva

Reaction score
Hi,

I take staff training very seriously and prefer to train everyone including reception etc. For my employed staff its very simple as they simply get sent for training, which so far has been on weekdays only (we are a Mon-Fri business).
In the event of a weekend training, do I pay them separately or can I give then a weekday off in lieu? Their contract does state occasional weekends.

More importantly, I'm really confused with self employed staff. Bearing in mind that I bear all the training costs and there's usually a certificate for them:
  1. Is it customary to pay them for the day?
  2. In the event of a half day only, is it ok to pay them for only a half day or is it still a full day rate?
  3. Is travel (within London so tube only) payable?
  4. Most places offer food but if not, do I have to pay for incidentals?
My personal feeling is that its payable for the hours the training is carried out for; not including travel and expenses unless out of town. But I'm guessing here.... I just remember always jumping at every opportunity to get trained- not caring if I had to pay personally for it; simply being happy to get the opportunity. I suspect that its probably not like that?

The self employed staff should pay for their own training, I understand you want everyone to do it together but you shouldn't really be paying for it, they could walk out your door tommorow with their expensive certificate in their pocket! It's different for employees you own their certificate.
How do you think you would pay them for the day? I can't come up with a single feasible way to pay someone who is self employed to attend a training session they don't have to pay for? Would you give them minimum wage per hour their on the course? Will you and they declare the earnings to Hmrc?

If I was going on a course and I asked my colleague who is self employed if she wanted to go too she'd be paying for everything herself, were two separate businesses, as are you and your self employed staff

Surf girl hit the nail on the head, you paying for training for them is a privilege! Definitely not travel if it's local and definitely not their lunch!
What is wrong with some therapists these days.. It's like they have a sence of entitlement?
I would jump at any training offer, unpaid for anything and willing to dip in my own pockets!
When one of my newer girls asked me if I was paying her for the day of IPL training, hahahahha absolutely not dear!

That's pretty much how I feel- I'd simply be glad of the opportunity- but as she reacted so strongly and as I'm not a therapist- I wondered if it was standard practice amongst therapists. It did leave me feeling quite bad about it and on principle, refused to pay for the transport but was happy to pay her normal rate for the hours attended. She didn't go. Then got upset when she found out that the girls who went got certificates : )
Thanks for that- its not all in my head then!
Surf girl (cool name!)- can you own another person's certificate even though they are your employees? I just assumed they got it on leaving....

That's pretty much how I feel- I'd simply be glad of the opportunity- but as she reacted so strongly and as I'm not a therapist- I wondered if it was standard practice amongst therapists. It did leave me feeling quite bad about it and on principle, refused to pay for the transport but was happy to pay her normal rate for the hours attended. She didn't go. Then got upset when she found out that the girls who went got certificates : )
Surf girl (cool name!)- can you own another person's certificate even though they are your employees? I just assumed they got it on leaving....

She didn't go? Are you serious? She is not an employee id be keeping! What a time waster!
X

Yea you can keep the certificates if you paid for the training, we hear all the time on here people asking how is it fair, the poor loves are having to pay to do the training again after leaving employers even tho they already did it once! Not all employers keep them mins but a lot do

It's usual for staff to have to stay in post for at least a year after training or they pay back some of the training costs if that helps. You can then give them the cert or not. You could charge for it!
You could also find that if your therapist (for example) did HD brow training, their contract is with you not the therapist so it's quite confusing that not all training places will actually supply the lone therapist anyway.

Vic x

Latest posts

Back