What % is fair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebecca savage

Reaction score
Hi guys
Just need a bit of advice.
Have moved to Cornwall and have started at my first self employed salon/ renting a chair. I have to buy all my colour, Peroxide, foils and hair products. They are taking 60% is that right?
Thanks xxx

60% usually goes to the person providing the products.

I think 40% is enough to give them, 60% is daylight robbery!

I think 40% is enough to give them, 60% is daylight robbery!

But when I say it or bring it up they say they have the rent to pay and say they will have to give everyone 50% they can't just do it for me. Also I think they would just let me leave. But I love the salon. It's so hard!!! I hate brining it up too them x

Why didn't you address this before you rented the space?

60/40 to the person providing the products is standard industry practice so you'll be lucky to get a better deal elsewhere.

Edited:
Sorry, just realised I misread your post as you provide all the products and they want to take 60%.
Definitely look around as that sounds a rubbish deal.

Last edited:
If you have already spoken to them about it and you feel they would let you leave rather than change the agreement in your favour then you have 3 choices.
1) Continue to pay them the 60% and just get on with things
2) Ask them to supply all your products as 60% is to the person buying products
3) Look for somewhere else that will take the industry standard split of 60/40% (60% to the person who supplies the products).

60/40 to the person providing the products is standard industry practice so you'll be lucky to get a better deal elsewhere.
I provide my own products and pay 30%... that's in Notts, not in the city centre. There was one salon near where I live that charges £50 per day plus 30% commission per client. Which is fine if uve got the clients which my friend had. If you like the salon and this price was agreed when you started renting the chair then I don't think you've got a choice, you can either pay it or leave, it's not an easy situation.

I provide my own products and pay 30%... that's in Notts, not in the city centre. There was one salon near where I live that charges £50 per day plus 30% commission per client. Which is fine if uve got the clients which my friend had. If you like the salon and this price was agreed when you started renting the chair then I don't think you've got a choice, you can either pay it or leave, it's not an easy situation.

70/30 to you sounds like a good deal but I completely understand the point about rates varying according to geographical location.

Obviously, being based in a busy city centre, you'd expect to be able to charge premium rates compared to working in a small town or perhaps less affluent area.

Why didn't you address this before you rented the space?

Because I went in blind and didn't think that it was unfair I just didn't no. Until all the colour bills x

Latest posts

Back