What makes a pro product vs home product?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamlea87

Reaction score
1) So out of interest what would you say differentiates the difference between 'consumer' and 'professional' products? Do you think there is an overlap? (for example consumers using root touch up kits or consumer shampoo).

2)Do you think professional products are worth the price point in comparison?

3)Do you think consumer products should be allowed to be discussed on SalonGeek, regardless of their effectiveness?

Interesting.

I remember many years ago being scornful of multi level marketing products. Those in defence of it argued that by retailing for my suppliers, it was just the same. After some thought I came to the conclusion that professional products should only be available to professionals. That some form of proof of training or certification should be needed to buy them. Most of my suppliers also required a substantial opening order to allow me to become a stockist. This is why I like to keep pro products pro. As to their effectiveness.......I know why my products are totally different to what's on the high street, but I wonder if everyone else knows why theirs are - if indeed they are!

Regards the price. It depends what you are buying. I don't know much about hair but with make up and skin care, they're are plenty of anecdotal stories of what worked for me from boots. No I don't think they have a place on salon geek. If they do, they should just rename it otc geek!

Vic x

I've really thought about this a lot latley....
1) ideally a professional product would do something a home or OTC product could not & would not be available for consumers to buy anywhere other than the salon , however... I think there's an increasing overlap I.e schwarpskopf new asda line is apparantly re packed bonacure, and the oil is remarkabley similar to bc . Loreal has lost it's gap for me between professional & retail completly I don't consider using it any more at all, not saying it's any good or bad but why is one shampoo a quid or 2 and the other is highly priced? It's all loreal? The way they market the olia makes it sound like it does a better job than a salon can!

2) the price of a high end (john frieda & such) shampoo is almost the same as my goldwell products BUT! This leads me onto number 3 I have recently trialled a very cheap shampoo because I was amazed by a clients hair condition recently.

3) consumer products are talked about on here but the snobbery often gets it pushed out straight away. I use schwarzkopf got 2 b oil and got 2 b powdered in my salon & would highly recomend it. I think some consumer products are rubbish and others like the 2 got 2 b products above are good, I wouldn't hesitate in telling a consumer to buy these products on here or off here, I think their effectiveness would be best put to the test by us professionals as we have access to both so can actually make a true statement on what's good and what's not in the vast world of consumer products....

I feel a new geek slot for the homepage here... Consumer products ;) ask a pro :)

Don't know if that makes sense. I've had a drink lol x

I think some consumer products are actually fairly good considering they're consumer products. But i think we should be able to discuss them on SG.

I've really thought about this a lot latley....
1) ideally a professional product would do something a home or OTC product could not & would not be available for consumers to buy anywhere other than the salon , however... I think there's an increasing overlap I.e schwarpskopf new asda line is apparantly re packed bonacure, and the oil is remarkabley similar to bc . Loreal has lost it's gap for me between professional & retail completly I don't consider using it any more at all, not saying it's any good or bad but why is one shampoo a quid or 2 and the other is highly priced? It's all loreal? The way they market the olia makes it sound like it does a better job than a salon can!

2) the price of a high end (john frieda & such) shampoo is almost the same as my goldwell products BUT! This leads me onto number 3 I have recently trialled a very cheap shampoo because I was amazed by a clients hair condition recently.

3) consumer products are talked about on here but the snobbery often gets it pushed out straight away. I use schwarzkopf got 2 b oil and got 2 b powdered in my salon & would highly recomend it. I think some consumer products are rubbish and others like the 2 got 2 b products above are good, I wouldn't hesitate in telling a consumer to buy these products on here or off here, I think their effectiveness would be best put to the test by us professionals as we have access to both so can actually make a true statement on what's good and what's not in the vast world of consumer products....

I feel a new geek slot for the homepage here... Consumer products ;) ask a pro :)

I agree with all of this.

My thoughts i just didn't have to type them out

Aw vic I thought it was a good idea lol, I do feel like I'm taking part in mlm a bit tho :/

I haven't tried that but I love the packaging on all the products

I've got the orange one but prefer my goldwell one ;) see pro opinion there haha

1) So out of interest what would you say differentiates the difference between 'consumer' and 'professional' products? Do you think there is an overlap? (for example consumers using root touch up kits or consumer shampoo).

2)Do you think professional products are worth the price point in comparison?

3)Do you think consumer products should be allowed to be discussed on SalonGeek, regardless of their effectiveness?
What are YOUR thoughts on it?

I've got the orange one but prefer my goldwell one ;) see pro opinion there haha

Its the silver one with the blue lid i like, its a metal tin!

Love the got2B yellow hairspray as well... Best I've ever used!
It's like super glue that stuff, I bought a can of that last year and it was great. Smelt a bit dodgy tho

It's like super glue that stuff, I bought a can of that last year and it was great. Smelt a bit dodgy tho

You see i like the smell of it

I love box dye. It looks just the same and does a cracking job!!!!!

Oh no it doesn't x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I love box dye. It looks just the same and does a cracking job!!!!!

Oh no it doesn't x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thats extreme

Edit: hate how emojis don't work anymore... No more laughing faces from me

As an industry we can't live in the past and think that consumers now do not have access to professional products. They can purchase nearly everything we use. But the key is knowing ingredients and what should be used when and how. Just go to any drugstore or Boots for many of you. For example, in the past 5 years I've noticed an overabundance, too many, of products with protein. Most consumers don't know what's hiding in their ingredients. Heck, I get confused sometimes, too. I have clients now asking me to help them choose moisture only or a mask that will deep condition simply because the choices are too many. That's where as pros we come in and help.

In discussing topical treatments such as shampoos and conditioners, many consumer and salon only products contain many of the same base ingredients. It's when you get into more specialized ingredients that it separates consumer from professional. As I mentioned above, anyone can nearly purchase anything these days, so of course there is massive overlap. And just because a product is pro, doesn't alway make it better. One of my favorite detanglers was one from VO5. How's that for professional? :p

On the flip side, you have box dye. For that, there is no overlap simply because it's not at salon level. And look at nearly any Youtube video of consumers, and sadly some colorists, teaching people how to go blonde. 90% of the videos teach consumers to use volume 30 and volume 40 on scalp.

In closing, there is overlap with certain products and I think it should be open to discussion at the appropriate time. But thankfully for coloring and lightening there is no overlap in a drugstore. Yes, the consumer can purchase and try it on their own, but we all know how that often ends. "But I watched this video with 30,000 views and she said to use volume 40 on scalp. Why is my hair breaking?!"

Ignoring box dyes because they suck and will never be good, there are a few products i dont really mind at all.
Actually the best non pro sulfate free shampoo is from happy hair days, I would actually prefer to use that over any sulfate containing pro product because its so gentle and doesnt irritate my skin or dry my hair out. Plus its good for clients wanting a vegan or completely cruelty free option, which we cant always guarantee in pro products.
I also agree that there are many "pro" products that are just downright sh.t ha, i dont believe in selling products unless i think theyre worth it, and i dont believe all this marketing stuff either, I test on myself and judge from there before i recommend anything.

Latest posts

Back