What next?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have very recently passed my level 2 hairdressing course which I am very excited about.
I just really wanted to ask, when you finished level 2, what did you do next, I really want to do level 3 as I dont feel confident about doing any hairdressing at all at the mo, but it is really expensive (far too expensive for me at the min).
How can I gain some experience, would it be inappropriate to approach a salon and ask if I can do a couple of hours a week for free, I cant go in to a salon full time due to other committments, ANY suggestions would be fantastic.
cheers Tracey x

Hi everyone, I have very recently passed my level 2 hairdressing course which I am very excited about.
I just really wanted to ask, when you finished level 2, what did you do next, I really want to do level 3 as I dont feel confident about doing any hairdressing at all at the mo, but it is really expensive (far too expensive for me at the min).
How can I gain some experience, would it be inappropriate to approach a salon and ask if I can do a couple of hours a week for free, I cant go in to a salon full time due to other committments, ANY suggestions would be fantastic.
cheers Tracey x

this is what i did...like you didnt feel i could be in the big wide world after level 2 so i went back and did my level 3 then approached salons offering to work for free....its not inappropriate at all, speak to your tutors ask if any ex student ex tutors own salons....and approach them .....I ended up working for a salon owner who really put me through my paces.in a good way..had clients lined up straight away .which is the best experience.....the worst that salons can say..is no....plus i am sure you have to have a salon to work in for level 3 I know we did ....becasue one unit is about stock control etc but you can only do it in a salon
hth xxx

if you're willing to work free i don't see how you could have a problem finding somewhere that'll take you on. I've just finished level 2 also, i found in my recent placement there was a heck of a lot of cleaning for very little, if no training within the salon. Good luck finding the right place ;). Think you need to be in the right place at the right time and be extremely keen. I'm starting a new place on Wednesday and hoping they're not gonna waste my time, especially since it's unpaid

:DGo for it, many people who have trained via college need floor experience and somtimes it's down to luck whether this is paid or unpaid. The experience though is worth it's weight in gold as unfortunately no full time college course can fully prepare you for the salon floor.
You must be prepared though that even though you may have your certificate salon owners will genrally need you to be prepared to undertake the role of a junior until they suss you out. All skills in hairdressing are vital including communication , reception , backwash, cleaning, etc. So if you prove to be more than competant in other fields you will be cutting and styling in no time.

Best of luck and well done for passing x

Can totally understand how you feel! I did my level 2 last year and worked in a salon (workexperience) for about six months before I started renting a chair for two days in the same salon. Had to leave after about 4 months cos there weren't enough clients for me. I've nearly finished my level 3 now and am doing a bit of mobile but it isn't enough to keep me busy and also I am still not ready to work on my own really. Been round most salons in the area but they aren't looking for anybody or they want so with more experience. Am so proud that I've actually completed these courses and really enjoying the work so don't want it to fizzle out if you know what I mean. Whoever said 'It's only hairdressing' got it completely wrong!
kate

It is a difficult time in your career, because in truth, you are not fully ready for a full on stylist role, but nowadays salons cannot afford to just have people standing around.
My best advice is to use any work experience wisely. Join in, hand up, help, be involved and interested. Smile lots.
Never sit in the staff room, read the salon mags or join in any bitching. If the salon cannot offer you a job, at least they can give you a reference or have contacts that may need a junior stylist.

Latest posts

Back