What to ask for as a deposit? Hair extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lusciouslocks

Reaction score
Hi, I have been a qualified mobile hair technician for a good few months now.
I would just like to ask for some help as when I do a clients consultation i normally take a £50 deposit but this obviously doesn't cover the cost of the hair, so if the client wasn't to show up for there appointment I would find myself out of pocket.
What does everyone else ask for as a deposit? What would you recommend?
Any help would be appreciated.

I take £100 x

Is that a price that covers the cost of the hair that you buy? X

Not completely but nearly.

I always take 50%

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

I also take £100 deposit x

Are you mobile or in salon? I've never had anyone let me down but I just get nervous incase I get out of pocket for taking a deposit that doesn't cover the cost of hair

£100 or 50% what ever is more xx

I'm mobile, you should make sure your deposit either covers or almost covers cost of the hair. If they let you down you've lost a lot of money x

I am mobile but either way I would still take it; if I get asked why I take 50% I answer honestly by saying that it protects me from stock piling unused hair and also shows some commitment from the client, never so far had anyone be funny about it. Hope that helps.

Thanks for you help. I just thought a client may be funny about paying a high deposit but if no one else has had any problems with this then I will also do the same.

Deposits should be non-refundable and cover 100% of the cost of the hair. That us the professional way to go about setting up a hair extension application at the consultation.

I think its expected, if a client refuses they'll find it very hard to find different terms elsewhere, everyone who orders hair orders it with a deposit,

I tend to ask for £100 or £150, something thats a nice round figure roughly rounded to the cost, ive never been questioned or refused.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi, I have been a qualified mobile hair technician for a good few months now.
I would just like to ask for some help as when I do a clients consultation i normally take a £50 deposit but this obviously doesn't cover the cost of the hair, so if the client wasn't to show up for there appointment I would find myself out of pocket.
What does everyone else ask for as a deposit? What would you recommend?
Any help would be appreciated.

I take 50% x

I always take 50% of the total cost of the quote that I have given my client at their consultation. This will then cover the cost of the hair purchased and I'm never out of pocket. Most suppliers give you a week sometimes two weeks to return the hair anyway so no one needs to stock pile any of the hair they order, obviously return postage costs will be incurred but thats a fraction of the cost of keeping unwanted hair that's be bought if you only take a minimal deposit and have a no show.

I take £50, I've never had a client decide not to go ahead with it after paying that out already. I take more for custom made hair (ombre)

Hi all,

When considering what deposit to take from your clients, it is also worth bearing in mind the perception the amount taken will have on the client.

For example, rightly or wrongly some clients may assume that the deposit taken will be used to purchase the hair only, and the remainder due to be paid is your profit. This may not necessarily be the case, but some may form this opinion. In the same way, if you were to take a very low deposit, e.g. £30, some may assume that this is the amount you will be spending on the hair, whether as in fact you are spending much more which may affect their perception of the quality of hair.

A good way to avoid this is to work with percentages, and as some suggested 50% is a good way to go. When taking the deposit you can explain that this is to secure their fitting date (i.e. show their commitment) and to go towards some of the cost of the hair.

By wording it as "some of the cost" this makes it more unclear as to how much your profit is, making for a much more relaxed environment for you both.

Hopefully this will be helpful.
Kind Regards

I take the cost if hair as a deposit because I can't afford to stay empty handed if there was a no show client. I never use do to take a deposit but it wasn't worth it because I had a few no shows.
Clients should understand that hair is expensive and I've never been hassled regarding deposit.
Xx

Take the cost of the hair then if anything should happen you won't be left out of pocket.

I've had a few people ask how much the hair is for me to buy which obviously I don't want them to know what do you guys say if a client asks this I feel so awkward! Xx

Latest posts

Back