What to do, am I being taken advantage of?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawn/NuU

Reaction score
Hi, it has been a little while and would really like to call on your advise.

I have been working in a salon on a 50/50 basis two days a week.

The salon its self is less than a years old and i have only been there 4 months or so. I am having a few issues in that the salon owner wants me to be there for the whole day when i may not have a treatment in until the end of the day and in some cases that would be an eyebrow shape and therefore earning less than £10 for the day and in some cases i need to use my own kit, reducing the amount i earn.

Side issues are that the room is at times left in a state following a spray tan, leaving me to clean it up and that another girls goes in to do nails and takes all the money and this in my view is unfair.

I am at a loss as to how to approach this and which direction to go in!! edging towards jacking it all in and going mobile...

What do you guys think i would love to here you views.

Dawn

Hi I rented a chair for 6 years a flat rate and I supplied all my own stuff so I always knew where I stood could come and go as I please etc ,maybe ask if you can rent the room and do your own thing ,or go mobile if you think you can make the same as now you have nothing to lose really :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say yes you are being taken advantage of, I use to have a therapist come in on a freelance basis 50/50 split but I provided everything. She was only there when she had bookings which obviously to my disadvantage, but as didn't pay her anything if she had no clients I wouldn't have expected her to be there or do jobs etc. only clean up what she used.
I think you need to say something, or she will walk all over you.

Hi,

I agree with the others. I have a stylist in on the same basis. We provide all the kit and products etc, she has her own work station and she takes home almost half of what she takes in. Good deal for both in my opinion!

The only thing we do ask of her though is that she is there for the normal salon opening hours, which she is absolutely fine with. Main reason for this is simply because we do get alot of walk-ins from the local OAP's and they hardly ever seem to come in 1 by 1 :p

I would also suggest that if some days you may make just £10 then you also speak to your employer about some more advertising or at least ask him to help you out and do it yourself :) It is 50/50 afterall :)

Seriously ask him for a quick chat over lunchtime or something. Again with it being a 50/50 he/she needs to understand that there are certain things you do and certain things he does!

Thanks

Craig

Let us know how u get on :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back