What to pay a beauty therapist?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautie

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve been researching a lot on here and can’t seem to find the answer I need. I’m taking the plunge and taking on my first employee. I’m just organising the interviews but need to know what the appropriate pay rate is.
I was thinking minimum wage, with 5% commission on all treatments completed for the probation period (3 months) and then increasing to 10% commission after that period. Does that sound about right?! I’m new to this so any help or guidance would be so highly appreciated.

Ideally the person I’ll be taking on will have level 2/3 beauty qualification with only little experience or non at all.

Thank you in advance!!

Can anyone help me pleeeeease [emoji16]
Even if you think that’s a ridiculous rate, I want to know! Thanks xx

I think it's common to do commission when they hit 3x their wage x

I think it's common to do commission when they hit 3x their wage x

Thank you.. is minimum wage too low so you think, or is it best to start low and increase as time goes on? X

Thank you.. is minimum wage too low so you think, or is it best to start low and increase as time goes on? X
No I don't think so it's pretty general in our industry.
The more senior/experienced/skilled they become the more value they have x

I’d say NMW and commission on retail only. Not treatments. I think you’d struggle if you paid commission as well as wage.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your replies x

I know the industry is different in the UK from what it is where I live (Canada), but it's hard to understand how beauty therapists are getting paid just minimum wage to do treatments when they've spent so much money and time on their training...some spas/salons do that here but clients in general tip. Is tipping a thing in spas/salons there? (But, that being said, there tends to be a high turnover in those spas/salons here as the moment a job opens up where it's hourly + commission, staff moves on.)

I know the industry is different in the UK from what it is where I live (Canada), but it's hard to understand how beauty therapists are getting paid just minimum wage to do treatments when they've spent so much money and time on their training...some spas/salons do that here but clients in general tip. Is tipping a thing in spas/salons there? (But, that being said, there tends to be a high turnover in those spas/salons here as the moment a job opens up where it's hourly + commission, staff moves on.)
Tipping isn't really a thing over here in any industry apart from rarely in nice restaurants I guess. Comes down to the individual but it's deff not a 'norm'.

I'm like you and always wonder why they pay so much to earn so little but it's for the love of the job mainly I believe.

I totally agree with Tinker78. I'm totally out of the loop as I'm now based in Spain, so this not a criticism at all, but I'd always assumed (wrongly?) that NMW was for unskilled workers or trainees. Not someone with a Level2 or 3 certificate, who'd trained long & hard at college. If that's the industry standard now I can totally understand why there is an unwillingness to train for years and spend all that money, when you can do 1/2 day course and set up your own for a high(er) hourly rate / salary. I should imagine it makes it really tough for you guys who are hiring too, to get staff who are committed, loyal, and good at what they do. I guess it's the same across a lot of skilled industries though.

I agree with above. Also even though we have a NMW, it’s not really a rate you can live on. Supermarkets pay more than NMW for stacking shelves! I was a carer a few years ago on NMW. They didn’t pay extra for overtime or night shifts, just the NMW (when it was under £7) Most of us either had to get a 2nd job or work 14 hour shifts nearly every day just to live! If I look for a job now and they only pay NMW then I don’t apply for it. I didn’t pay £££ in courses and qualifications to work for MW - which is also why more people have gone self employed. It’s a hard country to live in atm. The cost of living goes up dramatically, and the NMW goes up in bits and pieces :/
Anyway, I don’t mean any of this against you, it’s just my views on it :)

I agree with above. Also even though we have a NMW, it’s not really a rate you can live on. Supermarkets pay more than NMW for stacking shelves! I was a carer a few years ago on NMW. They didn’t pay extra for overtime or night shifts, just the NMW (when it was under £7) Most of us either had to get a 2nd job or work 14 hour shifts nearly every day just to live! If I look for a job now and they only pay NMW then I don’t apply for it. I didn’t pay £££ in courses and qualifications to work for MW - which is also why more people have gone self employed. It’s a hard country to live in atm. The cost of living goes up dramatically, and the NMW goes up in bits and pieces :/
Anyway, I don’t mean any of this against you, it’s just my views on it :)
Although I agree the issue is, if NMW was any higher it would lead to higher unemployment as small businesses just wouldn't employ as many people.

I think if you want someone to stay with your business long-term, you have to offer them what nobody else is offering and of course, show appreciation and thanks - verbally works well, and buying your team a coffee now and then never hurt either :) Otherwise it's just going to be a lot of revolving doors which gets confusing and tiresome to clients.

My friend runs a salon and her staff are self employed on a 60/40 basis

Latest posts

Back