What treatments did you cut out when pregnant?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxhaylzxx

Reaction score
Basically I am 5 months pregnant with my 1st baby and wanted to see what, if any, treatments did you stop doing and at what point?

I stopped hot stones massage as soon as I finished the appointments already booked in, due to the reason one of my only symptoms I was pregnant was dizziness and found if I got too hot this would make it worse. That and I'm not a fan of hot stones so any excuse to stop it really [emoji6].

I am starting to get a very achey lower back and found it is when I've been standing too long. Yesterday I stood for two hours straight doing waxing and a full body massage and really suffered.

I'm thinking the next treatment I will cut out is any massages over 30 mins. Back massages will still be fine but full bodies are going to be a no no. Luckily my clients are happy with that and are always checking im ok to do their appointments.

I have started to slowly cut my hours slightly and from Easter I'll have cut all my days a little shorter. I am taking bookings up until I'm 37 weeks and then after that time I am going to see how I go and maybe just do one or two clients a day if I feel I can manage it. I won't be taking bookings in advance for that period though.

I am planning to see how I feel around 8 weeks or so after the birth and come back on Saturdays as my husband is off that day. Then introduce one morning a week when I hope to bring baby with me and after afew more weeks introduce another morning or afternoon without baby for facials/massages.

So really the point of the post is to see how others cut/slowed down when pregnant. What treatments did you cut out and at what point? X

Hiya congrats on your pregnancy. I ended up working till 36 weeks at that point even just standing doing Waxing for half an hour was too uncomfortable and would get cramping pains. I had stopped doing pedis quite early on as bump was getting in the way. Clients who were booked in for full leg, Hollywood, underarms and face got really difficult too so in my last few weeks I had to schedule in extra break times between clients. I also planned to come back after 8 weeks but I wasn't ready physically or emotionally. Xx

Thank you for your reply :)

As I have never had a baby before it's unknown territory for me. I am glad I have understanding clients who have told me not to worry and they get that I just don't know how I'm going to feel. Good to read others experiences as I don't want to put too much expectation on myself.

How long did you leave it before you went back to work?

I found the first thing I had to cut out was pedicures once I was about 6 months as bump was too big to get the clients feet onto my lap!
I also couldn't do full massages but just a back massage was ok until i was too big to get close to the couch.
Anything standing upright was fine until the final month, then I just did little bits but carried on with covering reception, making drinks, laundry etc.

With my first son I started to do a few treatments about a month after. I had a wedding make up to do at 3 weeks postnatal so that was my first paying appointment.It was fine.
With my second son I was still on reception when 10 days overdue but as I had other staff at that time I took 3 months off doing treatments afterwards. Even though I was 'off work' I was still in the salon several times a week as stock ordering, paying wages and sorting issues never go away.

How long did you leave it before you went back to work?
I've been really indecisive and thought I wanted to be a full time mum but have recently decided I need to get back to work for my sanity! My little girl is 15 months now and only in the last few months have I felt ready to get back into it. I had a long recovery from the birth, a baby that was attached to me 24/7 with allergies and reflux and pnd, so this last year has been a bit more challenging than I expected xx

Thank you for your reply :)

As I have never had a baby before it's unknown territory for me. I am glad I have understanding clients who have told me not to worry and they get that I just don't know how I'm going to feel. Good to read others experiences as I don't want to put too much expectation on myself.

She was my first too so I get what you mean, I found it hard to plan as had no idea how I'd be feeling. Second trimester I was feeling great and felt like I'd be able to keep going for ages. If your clients are supportive that's great so then you can just play things by ear and change your plans as you need too!

I'm in my second trimester now and I'm shattered still! I just can't seem to shake the tiredness. To be honest I have been lucky so far I've had no sickness or anything so I think this is going to be a constant. I think partly due to the job maybe. But as I own my own small salon with just me working I can't afford to close longer than 8-12 weeks without coming back one day a week.

I cut out everything standing so massages waxing straight away I found this allowed me to pace myself and carry on untill I was due rather than wearing myself out

I'm in my second trimester now and I'm shattered still! I just can't seem to shake the tiredness. To be honest I have been lucky so far I've had no sickness or anything so I think this is going to be a constant. I think partly due to the job maybe. But as I own my own small salon with just me working I can't afford to close longer than 8-12 weeks without coming back one day a week.

Could you not hire someone to cover you on maternity? That way you won't loose any business and won't have to stress so much and take it as slow as you wanted. Even if paying wages may mean no income for you, whilst you are away you won't be making any money anyway so at least this way you will be keeping the business afloat rather that clients going elsewhere? Not sure if this helps but just an idea x

I was the opposite.....in total denial [emoji23] & carried on until the very end!!!! I Only stopped doing pedicures when my bump restricted the amount of space I had on my lap!! [emoji23]

No I don't want anyone in there while I'm off I'd rather close. I've thought about it and thought about it but it's definitely not for me. I've never had staff and I never want them especially while I'm off, it'd cause me too much stress. I'm a control freak. When I come back I won't be able to accommodate all my current clients so I'm ok With losing afew. If I was to get someone in I could come back to no clients and a ruined business/reputation. This decision was also influenced by my clients so it what's they want also.

I have slightly reduced my hours where I can and booked the odd extra day off too. I'm trying to limit how much standing I do in a day.

No I don't want anyone in there while I'm off I'd rather close. I've thought about it and thought about it but it's definitely not for me. I've never had staff and I never want them especially while I'm off, it'd cause me too much stress. I'm a control freak. When I come back I won't be able to accommodate all my current clients so I'm ok With losing afew. If I was to get someone in I could come back to no clients and a ruined business/reputation. This decision was also influenced by my clients so it what's they want also.

I have slightly reduced my hours where I can and booked the odd extra day off too. I'm trying to limit how much standing I do in a day.
What about renting your space out to someone who will do completely different treatments to what you do so there is no conflict with your clients? Xx

Latest posts

Back