What treatments to offer in a care home!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutekitten88

Reaction score
Hi geeks !

So been given the opportunity to do beauty treatments within a care home. :)
So was wandering what treatments would be suitable, and at what prices. And if anyone else does this so I can get some kind of an ideA?

Is it just beauty? Manicures are always a hit just be sure to ask questions for full consultation/record card in terms of massage etc. file and paint, and maybe even gel/shellac if you offer that?

I know it's not a treatment but a toe nail cut always goes down well as they can't do it themselves and so called age charities do it for such an extortionate price!! X

Stay clear of toe nail services, even carers have to go on training for this now as older service users generally have thickened toe nails and you wont know if diabetic etc as im assuming you wont have access to medical info. There is a reason care homes have visiting podiatry services. I wouldn't take the risk with that.

I bet most would opt for files and polishes. Be careful of cuticle work because of thinner skin, if it nips there will be a lot of blood!

Obviously you will know that with being qualified.

Im sure youll be popular there tho 😊 good luck! Xx

Thanks for all the feedback. Yeah defo can't offer toe nail services as chiropodist comes for that service. Was thinking of just a file and polish as bit worried about doing cuticle work incase of nipping the skin and they won't have patience to be siting for any length of time.
Does any one suggest a hand massage? And what prices do you reckon is ideal for a file and paint, and maybe a hand massage? Or even a bit of nail art?

Hello,

I think a hand and forearm massage is lovely, along with file and polish.

I actually tried this in my area, I even did a trial session and the residents at the home seemed to really enjoy the treatment, although very sadly, there doesn't seem to be any funding available for many of these people to have the treatment done.

I was only going to charge £5 per person, but the general feedback I got from ALL the care homes I tried was that they just could not afford this service. Very sad.

There is a company called Happi Hands which operate across the country with a similar service.

I think it is a fantastic idea, best of luck to you! xxx

What if you charged so much for an hour? Then could just see how many residents you could do- maybe the staff could arrange this. Then if it's a regular thing, the next time you come the other residents get to have a go! Care homes often will pay for singers etc for an hour or two so why not for nails etc! Although I know care staff can paint residents nails but probably not so much a luxury :)

A treatment popular with the oldies is a manicure which incorporates heated mitts while hand cream sinks in, they love to sit with their hands in there for 10-15 mins, most have bad circulation and an awful lot have arthritis in their hands and the gentle heat is pain relieving so a double wammy there:biggrin:

Hi geeks !

So been given the opportunity to do beauty treatments within a care home. :)
So was wandering what treatments would be suitable, and at what prices. And if anyone else does this so I can get some kind of an ideA?

Hey there, did you do this in the end? Be interesting to know how you got on!

I've got in at a warden controlled complex through reputation and its great I have a few ladies there. I've still done consultation with them as I would any other client and none of them are diabetic! I do cut toes but soak first then file and paint, then they all have file and paint in fingers, I don't do any cuticle work and they all have their eyebrows done but I tweeze rather than wax as I was worried about their thinning skin. I charge a little less for them than I would normally, I know not everyone agrees with oap discounts but I've got less travelling time as they are altogether so it does me a favour!

I've got in at a warden controlled complex through reputation and its great I have a few ladies there. I've still done consultation with them as I would any other client and none of them are diabetic! I do cut toes but soak first then file and paint, then they all have file and paint in fingers, I don't do any cuticle work and they all have their eyebrows done but I tweeze rather than wax as I was worried about their thinning skin. I charge a little less for them than I would normally, I know not everyone agrees with oap discounts but I've got less travelling time as they are altogether so it does me a favour!

Wow that sounds great, and yes I don't see anything wrong with charging a bit less it makes sense like you said :)

Latest posts

Back