What would you do about this bruised nail bed?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouboutinLover

Reaction score
Need some advice for an appointment I have tomorrow please ladies...

One of my clients bashed her thumb about 3 months back, she had a beautiful blue bruise as pictured below. I've done it myself so I know (even if I didn't 'know') that the bruise tends to grow out with the nail. However I noticed at her last appt that the bruise is simply not growing out. And where the bruise once lay, the area is just cream in colour kind of looks like nail separation - but the nail hasn't separated from the nail bed.
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1461970318.240132.jpg

I know from training and reading previous discussion it is extremely rare that this would be fungal as the fingernail does not provide an adequate environment - but obviously I can't rule that out. The nail is still growing healthy but where the bruise was is now discoloured but no longer blue.

Shall I continue with her treatment tomorrow (gel polish) and assume it's just damage to the nail based from the bruise which has not yet healed. Or should I be telling her to go to the doctors to get it checked?

She can be quite difficult so I'll need to be firm in my advice too her, so I'm needing some support from people in the know!

(Also her nails are discoloured due to smoking)

Does anyone have any opinions on this?

Her nail might be separated where the bruise was, she might lose that nail. It is hard to tell from the photo. Her nail could just be thicker in that spot now too. Personally I would do it, but I would also let her know that if it changes in any non positive way you won't put product back on until she sees a doctor.

Latest posts

Back