What would you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allthingsbeautyx

Reaction score
You've recently taken on renting a beauty room within a hairdressers (only been here 6months), the salon owner is a friend, you probably realise now that you jumped the gun a tad by leaving full time work to pursue your own business which you have always wanted to do, but now in reality it's so much harder than you ever expected. The majority of months you haven't even covered your bills let alone any pennies for yourself.

Now I know it was never going to be easy and you'd never be rake'ing it in straight away, you knew these things take time. But like I said you are slowly getting yourself into financial difficulties, your relationship is feeling the strain as your partner is doing all he can to help fund life.

You feel you have done what you can advertising wise and trying to build up those clients but it doesn't seem to be getting you very far.

What would you do? Decide to go back to full time employment where you'd be happy for the financial security but possibly deep down not so happy about not pursuing your dreams and feel like you've failed in trying? And possibly try keep the clients you've gained on a mobile/home basis but again risk losing them and your pride.

Or stick it out longer and risk potentially being in more money problems but be happier at trying and feeling the pride?

Also to add, part time work whilst you try to also build up more isn't really an option because your 'friend' who you rent from wants somebody at the salon full time. As much of a friend she is you can't help but feel she's only in it for the rent herself and to offer her clients something extra.

Again, I understand and always knew it would be tough and the only person you can rely on when becoming self employed is yourself but I'm in such a dilemma, please be kind!!

Could you share the room with another therapist and split the days between you so you can do p/t work until you have built up your clientele?

Could you share the room with another therapist and split the days between you so you can do p/t work until you have built up your clientele?

Sorry forgot to mention that I have been looking and haven't been successful in finding anyone just yet

It's great to have a dream and set yourself goals but you also need to work to a realistic schedule and have a plan.

You wouldn't expect to be an Olympic Gold Medallist 6 months after starting training would you?
So, don't feel like a failure just because you're not earning a decent wage after 6 months. It all takes time and constant hard graft in the beginning.

If you're going to make it work, you need to attack it from the perspective of a business owner and not an employee. When running a business, you have to market your business continually in a variety of ways, even when you're fully booked! Just doing leaflet drops, or Facebook offers isn't enough.

Have you read the two main sticky threads on this forum? Use them to help you remotivate yourself and set yourself a succession of small achievable targets along the way. For instance, aim to attract one new client a week and build on that.

I also think November can feel like a bleak month. Start planning some Christmas promotions to shift your focus to positive thinking.

Ultimately, you have to be honest with yourself. If you conclude that self employment isn't for you, accept it and move on. Set yourself other life goals. Learn a new language, get absorbed in a new hobby.
Personally, I think the definition of Failure is someone unwilling to consider change and who keeps pushing on a door that only opens inwards... it's really not about material success.

It's great to have a dream and set yourself goals but you also need to work to a realistic schedule and have a plan.

You wouldn't expect to be an Olympic Gold Medallist 6 months after starting training would you?
So, don't feel like a failure just because you're not earning a decent wage after 6 months. It all takes time and constant hard graft in the beginning.

If you're going to make it work, you need to attack it from the perspective of a business owner and not an employee. When running a business, you have to market your business continually in a variety of ways, even when you're fully booked! Just doing leaflet drops, or Facebook offers isn't enough.

Have you read the two main sticky threads on this forum? Use them to help you remotivate yourself and set yourself a succession of small achievable targets along the way. For instance, aim to attract one new client a week and build on that.

I also think November can feel like a bleak month. Start planning some Christmas promotions to shift your focus to positive thinking.

Ultimately, you have to be honest with yourself. If you conclude that self employment isn't for you, accept it and move on. Set yourself other life goals. Learn a new language, get absorbed in a new hobby.
Personally, I think the definition of Failure is someone unwilling to consider change and who keeps pushing on a door that only opens inwards... it's really not about material success.

I love this. Thank you for your wise words x

Latest posts

Back