What's the difference between Shellac, gel overlay, silk wrap and Bio Sculpture gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy_lou

Reaction score
I am getting my acrylic false nails off the weekend and wanted to try Bio gel but there are so many different names for it - are they all the same thing? If not, which is best?

Nope they are not the same.

Shellac is a power polish which works better on strong nails, it can last up to 2 weeks. It is applied like a polish, but does need to be cured.

Gel overlay-this is what you will be having if you are having Bio sculpture on your natural nails- bio has different treatment gels to suit most nail types. It adds colour & strength. They are in little pots & are applied with a separate brush.

Silk wrap- I personally do this to add strength if a clients nail is either really weak or if they have a break, this is encased in my Bio sculpture.

Gel polish- is applied like a polish, is also cured, adds colour. Usually its similar to shellac as in one method for all clients-better for strong nails.

:) xx

Nope they are not the same.

Shellac is a power polish which works better on strong nails, it can last up to 2 weeks. It is applied like a polish, but does need to be cured.

Gel overlay-this is what you will be having if you are having Bio sculpture on your natural nails- bio has different treatment gels to suit most nail types. It adds colour & strength. They are in little pots & are applied with a separate brush.

Silk wrap- I personally do this to add strength if a clients nail is either really weak or if they have a break, this is encased in my Bio sculpture.

Gel polish- is applied like a polish, is also cured, adds colour. Usually its similar to shellac as in one method for all clients-better for strong nails.

:) xx

Thanks hun, I guess mine will be pretty weak as I have been wearing acrylic nails - so should I go for the Bio gel overlay or the Silk wrap?

Which is better in your opinion?

Thanks again - hopefully this will strengthen my natural nails !!! :biggrin: xx

If your nails are weak, Id take down any length, & use Bio sculpture. If they were very weak or had breaks, Id add silk to those nails.

Let the nail tech see your nails 1st, they might not be as bad as you think :) just explain when booking.

Bio sculpture is a good product, just be aware it isnt as strong as L&P (acrylic) you should be given an aftercare advice too on how to look after your gel overlay. Xx

Latest posts

Back