What's the situation with self employed within a salon these days?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissLou

Reaction score
Hey geeks, been asked to talk to someone today about working in a salon but self employed.
I've always been employed within salons so have no idea how they work.
I've heard various ways they do it over the years but things may have changed now.

Do you pay x amount a week to rent a chair then what you take after is yours?
Do you have a % eg 40% to salon 60% to stylist (ratos could be well off there lol)

As self employed does the salon or bosses have any kind of hold over you? Without taking the mickey would you still be your own boss to a certain extent??

Any advice grateful thanks xxxx

Self employed should be a day rate (£40 a day for example) or a percentage split (50/50) but I personally would go with a day rate.

You decide your hours, your days off, your prices.

If they are trying to dictate to you what you can do, then it's not a true self employed position and you could run into issues with HMRC.

thats great thank you :)

this person has said maybe we can come to arrangement on hours working days etc….i'm not sure how 'controlling' they will be but i want to go in knowing the facts today so thats great thank you xxx

I would write a list down and get it all checked out before you sign anything. I'd want to know if you were getting your own, locked room which nobody else would have access to. I'd make sure you had your own key to get into the actual building.

How would bookings be made? Through you or through the salons reception?

Who buys products? Is it you or them?

Whether you pay rent per week/ month or they take a cut of your money.

Do you work under their name or your own business name (if it's under them then it would be classed as employed by them surely)

See if you are to pay any other bills? Water, electricity etc.

Hope that helps xxx

Following thread..

As I intend to rent out seats once salon is open..x

Hmrc guideline is interesting as it says you should have access at any time to open. Well if they don't allow you to open unless its in there times then you cant! And as for keys well some owners request a key to your room also?

I have keys for my therapist's rooms.

Just like a landlord does to a property they rent. If anything happened, burst pipe ETC I need to get in there.

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back