What's your most effective retail technique?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharan

Reaction score
As the title says really...

What have you found to be your most effective method for retailing?

How and where do you display your retail items for best results?

How do you close a sale?

I have mine clearly displayed with marked prices. I let my clients know about the products that I sell and really emphasise the benefits of particulars.

The only product I seem to be able to sell is the solar oil. That's because I "strongly recommend" as part of the shellac service.

Other than that, not much success. I've tried selling shellac rings, OPI polishes & lotions (at cost price now, because I just want rid), nail files. Even at cost price, i'm struggling to make sales.

My prices are very reasonable.

I'd be grateful if some of you could share your retail success stories?

Thank you!

I have been in sales for over 8 years selling real estate and have been doing nails for over a year. One thing I have found is that buyers aka clients are lazy. Selling regular nail polish to someone who comes to you on a regular basis for shellac is not logical. Solar oil is always a big hit a) because it's easy. B) because not many people already have that product in their medicine cabinet. With your lotions emphasize on the health benefits although that will not appeal to the majority of the market. You can also stress to them a little goes a long way etc good bang for your buck vs drugstore brands. Chances are most of your clients have a bed side table full of lotions already. Same with files, again if they are regular customers and you are doing your job correctly why would they need a file? Chances are they already have half a dozen that don't ever get used. My biggest sells are smell good, feel good products that are easy and have a reason. Same with houses, why dish out extra cash for a feature they can't see the value in. Put yourself in their shoes, ask daily routine questions, about their lifestyle and determine from there what you can sell them. :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

I think retailing products is very difficult. My hair salon sells loads if different products but I don't ever see anyone buying them. I think going down the add on services route is a better way to Increase sales so with nail art, rockstar, get fingers done full price get toes half price, gift vouchers etc xx

I have been in sales for over 8 years selling real estate and have been doing nails for over a year. One thing I have found is that buyers aka clients are lazy. Selling regular nail polish to someone who comes to you on a regular basis for shellac is not logical. Solar oil is always a big hit a) because it's easy. B) because not many people already have that product in their medicine cabinet. With your lotions emphasize on the health benefits although that will not appeal to the majority of the market. You can also stress to them a little goes a long way etc good bang for your buck vs drugstore brands. Chances are most of your clients have a bed side table full of lotions already. Same with files, again if they are regular customers and you are doing your job correctly why would they need a file? Chances are they already have half a dozen that don't ever get used. My biggest sells are smell good, feel good products that are easy and have a reason. Same with houses, why dish out extra cash for a feature they can't see the value in. Put yourself in their shoes, ask daily routine questions, about their lifestyle and determine from there what you can sell them. :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you for your earlier reply.

I have taken on whats been and have been getting rid of shelf-sitter stock, by way of extra little new year gifts to family and loyal clients, as I wasn't even able to sell them at cost price!

I am going to have a re-think of stock that is of actual use to the client.. And suitable for their lifestyle.

Thank you for your great advice 😊

First of all i feel to retail items you must be using them. if you are selling files, why are you not using that one on the client and talking and saying "I love this file, I keep one in my purse so if i break/chip a nail i can do a quick file and it doesn't catch.
Rings? why are you not wearing one? why are you not saying, "you know, that polish you picked out? i have a ring that matches it. I even made it with the same Shellac? Then you might get interest with "You made it?!"
the only way to sell is to talk about it.

If you are marking things down (the rings), say, "I even marked them down because they are going to come out with the the new spring line of colors soon and I want to move the winter colors out, but they are still just as beautiful as wearing the color on your nails!"

You're your best product and service seller.

Everything is on a shelf on the wall at the client's eye height and have prices that can be clearly seen. It's the only view they get when they are not looking at their nails!

My clients already know that I totally believe in the products that I use and recommend so trust me that I am genuine with my recommendations. I tell them why they need it so they can understand. I am educating them as we talk about their treatment and I also post things on my FB page regarding healthy nails and looking after them. I will also post enticing things on my FB page and make up little packs which are promoted as an opportunity to save money buying them this way.

I think retailing is easy.

The key to success is knowing your products inside and out and conveying to the client 'what is in it for them' if they use it.

I both explain and enthuse as I am using the products; I never try to sell a product they do not need and then I shut up. Before the client pays I pick up the product I have been enthusing about and ask if they would like to add it to the service price so they can take it home; 9 times out of 10 they do just that. :wink2:

I tell a story, so tell one client how successful a product has been for another client - all frequently made up!!!

Know your products and why they work. Definitely only sell it if they need it, and if it's a great client who hasn't picked up all your tips and hints, throw in the occasional freebie! My regular as clockwork lady just didn't buy Solar oil. I dropped hints, told her that she needed it, showed it to her, told her the price, but she just didn't/wouldn't. Her nails have always been pretty good, and she spends a lot with me, so gave her a mini solar oil as a gift. Her nails have noticeably improved so she has bought several - handbag, living room, bedroom etc and her Shellac removal is easier!

I can't do this with my skincare range, so if they're keen but hesitant, I remind them that I offer a full refund if they're not happy, which shows I have absolute faith in my products!

Vicki x

Along with all the other tips I think a great way is to drop a scenario in there too, when they would use it or fit it into their life! " just before you brush your teeth you can use the hydrating cleanser which contains rose geranium to give your skin a deep cleanse and a boost before applying your night cream blah blah "

Latest posts

Back