Where’s best to buy hair college/starter kits

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil993

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on where’s best to buy hairdressing college/starter kits from?

You can always google ‘college hairdressing kits’ and you will see several of the main suppliers.

However, your college will normally give you a list and recommend a specific supplier who will provide the complete kit of tools that the college has specified for a discounted price. I think you have to show evidence of enrolment before ordering though. Contact your college and ask before ordering.

If you get the opportunity, visit one of the big hairdressing shows such as Salon International where you can often pick up decent tools at a discount at the show.

A word of caution:
1. I recommend that you don’t waste money on really expensive scissors (or electrical tools) as scissors are regularly dropped on the floor during initial training and this will damage the higher quality scissor as they are precisely balanced. Maybe treat yourself after qualifying instead.
Also, the better quality tools often get ‘borrowed’ by fellow students and not always returned. :mad:
It’s nice to be nice and help out a fellow student but not if you’re suddenly short of the specific coloured roller when you’re about to do a practical assessment, so keep track of your stuff.

2. Definitely consider buying spare headblocks for practising cutting, colouring and styling/hair up. I bought a very long haired good quality headblock when training that I kept just for practising hair up and I still use it even now, when practising a new bridal/prom style. It’s never been cut.
However, I don’t think it matters much if you buy the cheap headblocks for practising cutting as once it’s cut, it won’t grow back and with cutting, you need to practise, practise, practise. For colouring practise, you must buy the guaranteed 100% human hair blocks as some of the artificial hair ones will react to the colouring chemicals.

Hope this has helped?

Thank you, yes that’s helped loads!! I’m doing my training through a private training provide which are salon based so will help with experience whilst I learn, just excited to get going and practicing at home on head blocks :)

Latest posts

Back