Where do I go from here?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

natbc1985

Reaction score
I am just coming to the end of my nvq2 in hairdressing and I Will be starting level 3 in september. I have some salon experience but it's been a few years since I've done anything in a salon. I'm always doing friends and family's hair and friends of friends etc and can't wait til I can work but I'm a little confused as to how qualified you have to be (nvq2 or 3)

Does anyone have any suggestions for me on how to get going and where do I draw the line and begin charging properly for what I'm doing?

Thanks
Natalie

Samilou

Reaction score
I would also like to know more about this aswell please

xoxo

Clairdestiny

Reaction score

crazybek

Reaction score
As far as im aware you can go straight into a level 3 after your level 2,HOWEVER,i personally think a few years experience working with many different clients and situations would be a great head start.
I originally started level 3 after 2 years qualified in level 2 and stopped after a few months due to feeling like i was going into it a bit blind and you need to be confident in all aspects etc to help your students to gain from you so i left it untill 3 years ago,age 29,after 11 years!!
I flew through level 3 and am currently doing level 4/a1 accessors award and working with the 2 trainees in our salon to help and guide them but also to gain my teaching qualification.
This time round i feel much more confident in my skills and experience and feel like im not working blind!
Everyones different but i know i found waiting much more beneficial for me.
Do you have an accessor you can speak to about it?
x

natbc1985

Reaction score
I've spoken to my assessors in the past about working etc and we have been told that while obviously we can do what we want, that without having level 3 that we don't have all the the skills to go out and work competently on clients. But in the area I live I have been in numerous salons where they have said they don't do colour correction so I assume level 3 isn't essential everywhere???
I'm really confident doing hair as I started when I was 16 and I'm now 26 and the my boss back them was amazing she really threw me in at the deep end and I learnt so much from her but the confidence has gone down considerably since then and I've wrote letters and sent c.vs just trying to get a day or two a week unpaid back in a salon environment. I guess no one is willing to give me a chance due to me not being young enough
X x

Latest posts