Where to get official advice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charleneweeooo

Reaction score
Hey guys Im looking for advice on pay/daily rates etc. and can't seem to find anything online. According to a stylist in my work, there is a law concerning my issue which is 'set' by the national hairdressing federation and basically I am trying to find some set in stone info about this matter. I posted on here a few months ago and got fantastic replies from everyone but when it comes to informing my boss about this, using 'someone on salon geek told me it wasn't right' isn't going to wash lol. So I was wondering who I could maybe contact? I looked on the nhf website to see if I could phone them or something but you have to have a paying membership to view advice and I wouldn't imagine they'd just hand out info over the phone. I usually contact Acas with things like this but a stylist told me this issue only concerns hairdressers and not any employment in general so I wouldn't imagine they'd be much help. Does anyone know who I could contact? Habia maybe?
Thanks in advance guys x

What is it you are wanting to know?? You say pay/daily rates but can you be more specific?

Like I said I asked for advice on this a few months back and got the answer I needed, but when I tell my boss that he is wrong, I'm going to need more than 'salon geek told me so' to prove him wrong lol. Basically everyone in my work gets a daily rate of £50 which means the girls that work long hours arent even reaching the nmw. And they all seem to think the nhf set this rule out and it's the only type of job that's allowed to pay under nmw

Ah yes I think I remember that.
I'm under impression that you must be getting at least minimum wage or equivalent. And I read an article I think also on here that the government are going to be looking at hairdressing industry and ensuring all staff are being paid correctly . I don't think hairdressers are exempt. You should probably get in touch with hmrc. They will tell you exactly where you stand.

Thanks for the reply. I considered contacting hmrc but because this is apparently a 'hairdressers only issue' I wasn't sure they'd have that kind of info. I suppose contacting and trying wouldn't hurt

Yip. If they aren't getting nmw then he's breaking the law. Good luck!

A girl on my level 3 course said they are paid a daily rate in their salon. I told her to be careful they aren't being done over. She just shrugged...

Latest posts

Back