Where to work, how to work? Help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
ok so i am newish to the industry i qualified in may and been offering full sets of acrylic and gel from home and mobile ever since. pretty confident now but obviously a long way off where i want to be. My issue is i'm finding it hard to trouble shoot, grow and develop because i'm working on my own. i mean i look on here, youtube and facebook for advice from other techs like your goodselves but its not like having a salon team!! i've been thinking about going to work in a salon but loads of them want you to rent the space or work commission only! i have been mugged off by so many salon owners since i started looking its ridiculous- I even ended up working for free in one salon!!! The salons which do pay hourly want you working like a robot, doing nails within 45 mins per set, using cheap products and for very little money! That's not how i want to do things!!

its a catch 22 really- i can't improve my confidence without working alongside others but i don't have the confidence to work in a salon yet- really frustrated and scared and close to giving up my dream of this career!i don't have the time to build a huge client base as i am still trapped working in my boring day job dreaming of a glittering career in nails!! I'm thinking of updating my training 1:1 with Lally Quayle a highly recommended NSI educator!! But long term would love a supportive salon environment which would nurture me but you just don't get that in London!!! any advice guys? where did you start out? and how did you build your confidence? how did you get through the rocky initial stages of being better than a total beginner but stll needing more experience?

Have you thought of setting up your own small salon/nail bar with another tech?

I'd be interested in hearing about this too!i also work full time and do mobile on the side,dreaming of career in beauty/holistic treatments one day,but its hard!

Have you thought of setting up your own small salon/nail bar with another tech?

OMG this would be my dream. is this what you have done i have a couple of other tech friends who have asked me if i would like to do this but its all pipe dream talk- noone seems deadly serious and willing to commit and i wouldn't and couldn't do it by myself because of family commitments. It would be my dream, because I would make it high end yet accessible and affordable for most people!!!! It's defo something i am thinking about developing!

I'd be interested in hearing about this too!i also work full time and do mobile on the side,dreaming of career in beauty/holistic treatments one day,but its hard!

it seems almost impossible to find the time to give to building it especially when you have a "day job" as well!

OMG this would be my dream. is this what you have done i have a couple of other tech friends who have asked me if i would like to do this but its all pipe dream talk- noone seems deadly serious and willing to commit and i wouldn't and couldn't do it by myself because of family commitments. It would be my dream, because I would make it high end yet accessible and affordable for most people!!!! It's defo something i am thinking about developing!

I'm along the lines of wanting to do this too. Want to decide everything myself, or with a partner. But don't want to work somewhere where things are already up and have to go by their rules. Shame your so far away haha :(

Laura xx

No I haven't , I'm just starting out still training. I just read ur post and it came to me. Lol. Good luck

I've only just qualified not so long ago and jumped straight in the deep end and started working in a salon yesterday...I was more nervous doing mobile than salon and I absolutely loved it....I give 20% commission and my clients are my clients but I do gel and the other lady does acrylic and she's lovely ....good luck, if you get an offer or find somewhere stick up for yourself and say how you want it to be. The lady who owns the shop I'm at wanted me to pay £20 a day (full set of nails)...but couldn't guarantee me any clients...so I said no il do 20% and she said okay!...it's not like me to say what I think xx

I'm along the lines of wanting to do this too. Want to decide everything myself, or with a partner. But don't want to work somewhere where things are already up and have to go by their rules. Shame your so far away haha :(

Laura xx

omg i know! its so hard to find people on the same page as you professionally and who love doing exactly what you do!!!! i hope we both get there one day- good luck too!!

xxx

I've only just qualified not so long ago and jumped straight in the deep end and started working in a salon yesterday...I was more nervous doing mobile than salon and I absolutely loved it....I give 20% commission and my clients are my clients but I do gel and the other lady does acrylic and she's lovely ....good luck, if you get an offer or find somewhere stick up for yourself and say how you want it to be. The lady who owns the shop I'm at wanted me to pay £20 a day (full set of nails)...but couldn't guarantee me any clients...so I said no il do 20% and she said okay!...it's not like me to say what I think xx

omg your so brave. i wish i could do what you have done but i was too much of a chicken and thought i wont be ale to do the nails fast enough for a salon. really i should just take the plunge and try it as practice makes perfect ad if i dont try i will never know if i could do it! x

omg i know! its so hard to find people on the same page as you professionally and who love doing exactly what you do!!!! i hope we both get there one day- good luck too!!

xxx

Good luck to you too :)

Laura xx

omg your so brave. i wish i could do what you have done but i was too much of a chicken and thought i wont be ale to do the nails fast enough for a salon. really i should just take the plunge and try it as practice makes perfect ad if i dont try i will never know if i could do it! x

Well I was scared I wasn't gonna be fast enough so I just said to the girls that give me a couple of weeks and il be up to speed...I ended up doing a full set of gel extensions in 1hr 15 which I didn't think was bad considering the woman kept faffing...just go for it...it's experience whether you like it or not you never know til you try...I was petrified driving there hahaha xx

Well I was scared I wasn't gonna be fast enough so I just said to the girls that give me a couple of weeks and il be up to speed...I ended up doing a full set of gel extensions in 1hr 15 which I didn't think was bad considering the woman kept faffing...just go for it...it's experience whether you like it or not you never know til you try...I was petrified driving there hahaha xx

Well practice makes perfect then! I am going to go for it next year! Can I ask How much do you pay for your space!? Actually this might be worth a new thread! Not sure what's reasonable or not to pay so interested to find out!

Sorry for late reply...I pay 20% commission each day for my space. And my clients are mine...they post any offers I post on Facebook and I do for them too...this is on a month trial basis...after a month I'll either rent my chair or keep paying commission but the amount may change...I'm not sure if it depends on your area what the going rate is though...x

Sorry for late reply...I pay 20% commission each day for my space. And my clients are mine...they post any offers I post on Facebook and I do for them too...this is on a month trial basis...after a month I'll either rent my chair or keep paying commission but the amount may change...I'm not sure if it depends on your area what the going rate is though...x

wow thats a great rate- sounds perfect. yeah its defo more here i think usually 60/40% i guess i will have a look around and see whats out there!

Latest posts

Back