Where's the catch?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daisy Digits

Reaction score
My husband spotted a sign in a local beauty salon offering Shellac for £10. He then asked me if they could be making a profit with this low price. I said the profit margin must be carved to the bone,. Either that or they're not using legitimate CND products. Anyone else seen super-low prices and wonder how they do it?

Yes acrylic nails with shellac for £12. x

Sent from my GT-S5360 using SalonGeek mobile app

I saw £5 on Facebook although she uses cco but still surely not much if any profit??

yes a few salons around our area charge £10 (genuine shellac) HD brows £10, sighn of the times i think.

Oh bum. It looks like my plans to go global may just have been a dream! Ah well, as a famous fish once said, "Just keep swimming!" Lol :biggrin: (Just in case you don't know, I mean Dory, from 'Finding Nemo') I think I may have lost the plot :rolleyes:

I wouldn't even worry. Services at that price aren't worth the effort, products, time, training and all the money you've spent along with it when you know you're using genuine CND products.

Who cares it's just foolish people who don't know how to work out cost per service or more annoyingly people who are rich and do it for a hobby.

if you had 5 girls in your salon all on min wage , 20 min gel/shellac/any generic brands(as we are seeing most products are manufactured in china) application, then to make sure you pay there wages and have clients back week in week out then yes you will easily see offers like this with the true branded product

5 girls x 3 sets each £10 in 1hr = £150 x 8hr 10 hr day=£££££s

1 tech on there own offers like this do not last long

gel is just like buying polish now to some owners brand is not an issue with many nor with there clients xx

wow ! 20mins removal/reapplication, sounds great do you know anyone who can actually do it in this time ?
removal wraps are on 10mins, then you clean it all up, do cuticles, file, wipe then re-apply. I would love to be able to do it in that time, please tell me your secret

wow ! 20mins removal/reapplication, sounds great do you know anyone who can actually do it in this time ?
removal wraps are on 10mins, then you clean it all up, do cuticles, file, wipe then re-apply. I would love to be able to do it in that time, please tell me your secret

not talking removal just application and yes application can easily be done in 20.mins

most charge separate for removal

fact is £10 gel/power polish in high street salons in many areas exist and are not uncommon

not all clients have over grown trashy nails

and i did not say i do this

here is a link to the nail boss stating 10 min removal of acrylic wonder how fast he could get a thin coat of gel polish of

http://instagram.com/p/c2CMDBFVLu/

Last edited:

Pahaha the secret is e-file. They don't bother to push cuticle back or apply the remover, they just file it off, also they file off vast majority of product so it soaks off quicker and all is done in a big rush - my ladies wouldn't be impressed with that like they're not impressed with mcdonalds so they don't go there. It all depends who you target ;) But yeah it is possible.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using SalonGeek mobile app

Pahaha the secret is e-file. They don't bother to push cuticle back or apply the remover, they just file it off, also they file off vast majority of product so it soaks off quicker and all is done in a big rush - my ladies wouldn't be impressed with that like they're not impressed with mcdonalds so they don't go there. It all depends who you target ;) But yeah it is possible.

Christ I only edited this post, now it's like I quoted it and I can't discard it! :mad:

My husband spotted a sign in a local beauty salon offering Shellac for £10. He then asked me if they could be making a profit with this low price. I said the profit margin must be carved to the bone,. Either that or they're not using legitimate CND products. Anyone else seen super-low prices and wonder how they do it?

I take it you mean CND Shellac? Shellac is an ingredient, not a brand in itself so advertising shellac does not automatically mean CND.....

Point taken BarbaraC. I just assumed that most professionals would already know that CND was the brand name of the products I was mentioning. And yes, you're right, to a degree. I think shellac is referring to either the shellac beetle, or the varnish derived from it. Hence, as has been stated before, the name Shellac, can't actually be used for ONE specific brand only. If I have this wrong, I'm sure someone will point it out. :)

Oops, and you're quite right, I didn't put CND Shellac in my original post, but that was the product being offered. Humbled :smack: lol

Katie d is right here, teamwork makes for the possibility of doing very cheap offers. Where I live you can have acrylics done in 30-45 mins and there is a team of people around 8 staff all doing that with a queue of customers constantly on a Saturday and after school. They charge £8-10 for L&P and only earning minimum wage. They can do Shellac in approx 20 mins which is do able and charge around £10-15 maximum. These shops open 10-7pm, 7 days per week. Unbelievably hard working. Their profit per customer is still low, but as a team they are making loads!

It is different for independent nail techs, we on our own are not in a position to make offers anywhere near these but I can fully see how shops are. I wouldn't worry though, as clients who come to you are looking for something different to what the salons can offer. Perhaps a more personal service, time spent, or maybe a mobile service Etc etc.

Xxx

As a mobile therapist with a lot of competition from other salons and mobile therapists I do charge slightly less than if I worked from home. I can assure you I use genuine Gelish Products and I trained with them last year. It could simply be if the salon is slightly struggling or have a new therapist who needs to build some clients it's a good way of getting some attention, once you have the clients a gradual price increase is easily accepted.xx

the salons that offer cnd shellac in our area are using genuine products and charge £10,(i dont) and tbh they do a really good job,i couldnt or wouldnt wont to drop my prices that low,but each to thier own.

Ah well, each to their own. Glad to hear most salons are using CND products. Even so, NSS in Keighley is advertising Shellac but openly using Blue sky. Hey ho, nuff said :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back