Which hair technique gives you "the fear"?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When i do colour correction , i always do a thorough consultation. I ask the clients history of their hair (what colours they have on did they do it etc).
I then ask them what they are trying to achieve , if im unsure i get pictures from Ipad / magazines .
I then carry out a skin test , and a strand test . I never ever over promise , i explain what will happen (the process) . For example i had a client in last friday for a consultation, she has a build up of colour around a base 5 , did skin test and strand test , my client is naturally around 80% white and shes fedup with the root , she brought in a pic of the colour she would like to achieve . It was basically going back to her natural root colour with lowlights in it . I explained i couldnt achieve the colour she required for quite some time . I explained what i could do and what the end result would look like , i asked her if she understood everything i talked about , didnt want her to be disillusioned . I then explained to her what i was going to do , cleanse the hair to around a 7 , as this was the maximum i could cleanse out to, i knew the depth as i held the swatch up against the colour chart to make sure it was a 7 . She was abit concerned about the orange tone of her strand test but i stressed i would tone the orange . She instantly relaxed . I then said that she could come back to salon in two weeks time for lots of Hls to lighten , but again i stressed it still wouldnt look like the picture she showed me , i said again it would take a few gos to get to where she wants to end up, but we would get there eventually. Because my client understood everything and i didnt over promise she felt reassured and booked . She mentioned to me that she had been to a few salons and none of them were quite as thorough . Hth xx
Kaye that's so good ! I get scared of colours even sometimes ? Sounds silly but I have only jus finished my level 3 and haven't had enough salon floor experience I don't think yet I hope over time my confidence grows x

Colour correction sometimes, usually its fine. But i do find it very difficult when clients hair is long or unruly. Mostly its clients being disappointed in me that freaks me out, that never happens really but colour correction is especially scary because you can explain a hundred times the processes and that it will take more than one appointment but sometimes they still expect the world in one go and i find that hard.

Yesterday really got me down because my clients boyfriend turned up with her kids 40 mins early waiting outside my house and it just made me really uncomfortable and i felt so rushed and pressured to finish early that the results just weren't what i wanted. So i guess i take it really personally if they arent 100% happy, but i did explain to her to expect at least 2 more appointments before her hair would be more how she wanted it and i did my best under that much pressure. It really stressed me out though and i spent the whole night awake last night with back pain and just worrying about it. Le sigh

Nothing here. Although I dislike shaving patterns. I can do it but id rather not.

It doesn't really give me "the fear"...well maybe just a bit:)
I absolutely dread a massive head of thick bouncy hair for full head highlights.
I'm a bit slow and by the time I get to top, I'm checking my time:sad:

Nothing here. Although I dislike shaving patterns. I can do it but id rather not.

same here, I dislike doing it so id rather not!! interesting to hear everyones thoughts. Hopefully when I also have a few more years experience under my belt I'll be like Persianista and you others with no fear!! Definately have to look and act confident when self employed though! I sometimes feel like I know what I'm doing is correct in theory, but because I'm alone I have a little internal panic incase something crazy goes wrong! x

Sounds silly, but shampoo & sets/ sausage blowdries scare me.. I haven't had a great deal of practice on either so I'm not very skilled at it

Perming for me! It's just practice and in the 10 yrs hairdressing there seems to be less of a demand for it. The winding I find the hardest purely because I'm a perfectionist and if it doesn't look right I take it out. I can do it but I'd wriggle my way out if I can

Latest posts

Back