Which insurance company should you choose?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decadence

Reaction score
Well indeed what a question!

Well we as companies or mobile therapists all face the same decision when we start out, we are told that we have to have insurance to make us look professional and to protect the client and that the insurance companies are there to look after us!

WRONG!

Ladies and Gents, companies and individuals, we all need insurance because if something goes wrong and we end up in court, then when or if we loose the case then we could potentially loose our house, car or something to cover the cost, so this is why we need it not to protect the individual client but to protect ourselves.

So does this mean that if we have insurance then everything is ok?
well you need to think about it from their side of things, the insurance company is running a business, just like you and us, and they are taking a calculated risk that by insuring you for a sum of money, you will not make any mistakes as a professional and they will make there profit!

But what about if something goes wrong and we do end up in court, and lets face it we are taking after America! Well after reading this thread
http://www.salongeek.com/biz-geek/235676-insurance-question-re-waxing.html you could start to see how things pan out!

So you leave college or start a business and you pick a insurance company, you call them up pay the money, and some companies will ask to see you certificates and some wont, so you assume everything is ok.
Until the day you end up in court and they because they are running a business and want to make a profit, turn round and say that you are not insure for that course because it is not a NVQ etc or that they do not accredit the day course that you may have attended.

Oh dear this is when our whole lives could fall apart!
Just because someone is on the end of the telephone being nice and saying that everything is ok, and they don't need to see your certificate, does not mean that it will be.

As the thread shows above some people including ourselves could of got into a lot of hot water, so please clarify with your insurance companies if any of you have attended any short courses that in fact you are REALLY insured to carry out the treatments that you are offering.

We are in this industry to make money, not to take a gamble with our homes.

Kind Regards
John And Mandy Flood
Decadence Nails and Beauty

After reading this link above, it now seems you need to have written confirmation from your insurance company that says you are insured, as that could be the only evidence you have that they said yes on the phone, only to deny it later. It is real food for thought!

Indeed that is a very good point perhaps we should all remember that a telephone call is not a legal document, and a telephone call cannot be proved in court.

Kind regards
John and mandy Flood
Deacdence Nails and Beauty

After reading this link above, it now seems you need to have written confirmation from your insurance company that says you are insured, as that could be the only evidence you have that they said yes on the phone, only to deny it later. It is real food for thought!

Indeed that is a very good point perhaps we should all remember that a telephone call is not a legal document, and a telephone call cannot be proved in court.

Kind regards
John and mandy Flood
Deacdence Nails and Beauty
Actually a spoken agreement over the phone is just as valid in court but you would have to know what day & time the call was made (& who you spoke to if possible) & request the call recording off the insurance company. The FSA (Financial Services Authority) insist that ALL insurance companies MUST have call recording for this exact purpose.
If they don't have the call recording they would have to pay you because it is legally their place to prove what was said or agreed (as they are required to have the call recording by law & if they don't have it it's their responsibility not yours to prove what was said).

Sounds a lot easier to me having it in writing

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

It is easier to get it in writing which is why I advised in the other thread for everyone who is concerned about being covered to email their insurance provider with scans of their certificates asking for confirmation that they are covered with those certs to do the treatments listed.

But if you do contact your insurance provider with an inquiry of any kind then noting down the date & time of the call & the name of the person your talking to will enable you to ask for the call recording should you need to

If I was to call my insurance provider instead of email (for speed) I would write the question I'm asking, the answer they give me, the date, time & name of person answering my call on a piece of paper and keep that paper with my insurance paperwork.

I really hope this thread remains constructive so there is no need for a mod to close it. I found the other thread quite eye opening and it looks as if I am going to have to call my insurance provider tomorrow to query my very reputable gel training as it appears the company is not accredited :eek: despite my insurers knowing with whom I did my gel training because I had to fax them my certificates.

Everything else I offer as a therapist is covered except my gel training. I know some people have repeatedly said that it is up to each individual therapist to make sure that their training is recognised with their insurance provider, but it does appear to be a bit of a mine field and there does seem to be a bit of 'passing the buck' so to speak.

Sometimes the people you speak to at the end of the insurers telephone tell you to check with your training provider and your training provider directs you back to your insurer. And if your insurer insures you based on the certificates you present to them and yet your training provider is not accredited with them, then who is at fault? Surely it is also up to the insurer to ensure that when they take your money and copies of your training certificates, that it meets their requirements to cover you? The responsibility should be two ways.

Latest posts

Back