Which key pieces of make-up?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FairyBrowMother

Reaction score
I'm just starting on make up - have a couple of other courses I am going on - vintage look, glamour look etc etc and was wondering what are the key pieces of make up I should buy for my kit? The ones you cannot LIVE without.

I have around £500 to spend on make up but would like to use a couple of brands rather than just stick with the one

Any help would be greatly appreciated indeed

xxx

I can't live without my Illamasqua powder in 010, I use it on every job and it smells divine!
NARS bronzer in Laguna, it's a lovely ashy shade, great for contouring
I love good old Benefit High Beam for highlighting and Laura Mercier powder in Stardust for a subtle highlight.
You'll need a good primer, I switch between Laura Mercier and Smashbox, occasionally mac prep and prime too.
You need a decent selection of highly pigmented matte eyeshadows, I have MAC, Inglot and Sugarpill as my current favourites.
Good quality brushes are a must, they do the work for you, some of my favourite brushes are MAC, Crown and Real Techniques..
You need high quality foundations, for sheer, dewy skin I love Stila Illuminating foundation and for more coverage I prefer MAC studio fix or sculpt depending on the client.
These are my basics that I use on pretty much every job.

Get yourself a good case for your make up and brush cleaner, keep things like wipes, eye makeup remover, eyelash glue, cotton buds, tweezers and everything else you think there's a chance you'll need to every job :)

I can't live without my Illamasqua powder in 010, I use it on every job and it smells divine!
NARS bronzer in Laguna, it's a lovely ashy shade, great for contouring
I love good old Benefit High Beam for highlighting and Laura Mercier powder in Stardust for a subtle highlight.
You'll need a good primer, I switch between Laura Mercier and Smashbox, occasionally mac prep and prime too.
You need a decent selection of highly pigmented matte eyeshadows, I have MAC, Inglot and Sugarpill as my current favourites.
Good quality brushes are a must, they do the work for you, some of my favourite brushes are MAC, Crown and Real Techniques..
You need high quality foundations, for sheer, dewy skin I love Stila Illuminating foundation and for more coverage I prefer MAC studio fix or sculpt depending on the client.
These are my basics that I use on pretty much every job.

Get yourself a good case for your make up and brush cleaner, keep things like wipes, eye makeup remover, eyelash glue, cotton buds, tweezers and everything else you think there's a chance you'll need to every job :)

WOW Thanks PinkFairy - Just want I needed to know. I'm doing a bit of a online shop later, I have professional discount for Illasmasqua so will spend a little with them! Just bought some Real Technique Brushes too, and looking for a case, didnt know if to just get a medium size one or one on wheels.

Thanks for the heads up on what are some key pieces

Sinead xx

WOW Thanks PinkFairy - Just want I needed to know. I'm doing a bit of a online shop later, I have professional discount for Illasmasqua so will spend a little with them! Just bought some Real Technique Brushes too, and looking for a case, didnt know if to just get a medium size one or one on wheels.

Thanks for the heads up on what are some key pieces

Sinead xx

Get a sturdy one on wheels, if you're anything like me you'll buy makeup constantly for different jobs.. I have soooo many pieces form Illamasqua I adore the products, the pencils are gorgeous as are the pure pigments. Precision Ink in scribe is fab! The eyebrow cakes are brilliant... I could go on lol xx

I love my HD Brow Palettes for brows but willing to try the brow cake xx

Get a sturdy one on wheels, if you're anything like me you'll buy makeup constantly for different jobs.. I have soooo many pieces form Illamasqua I adore the products, the pencils are gorgeous as are the pure pigments. Precision Ink in scribe is fab! The eyebrow cakes are brilliant... I could go on lol xx

What shades of Stila and MAC foundations are most popular or essential in your kit? x

What shades of Stila and MAC foundations are most popular or essential in your kit? x

Well I have all of the shades of the Stila Illuminating foundation but you could get away with 10, 30 and 60 and custom mix to start you off, bearing in mind the majority of my clients are Caucasian and fair skinned. I mostly use shades like NW20 in MAC as a lot of my clients are pale skinned with pink undertones, (Irish skin, very pale, pink and freckly :) ) xx

I'm of Irish parents so pale skinned with freckles in the summer ( when we have sun haha )

I'll buy all shades of Stila and call into MAC on Monday ( my day off )

Thanks for all your advice so far, it's been such a great help xxx

Not necessarily make up, but a must for me is all the disposable stuff, mascara wands, lips brushes and headbands etc. I always try and keep clean as I go along so I always have Brush disinfect, make up disinfectant and hand cleaning gel with me. Also a diposable bin for tissues and box for the brushes I use.

A good moisturiser and primer is a must for me too!

Make up wise, there is so much. I use Airbase for my foundation and blusher but for everything else, I love benefit (professionals get 40% off!), YSL, Illamasqua & MAC.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Yes also recommend Illamasqua and I'm going on Airbase training soon so excited!

You are going to love Airbase! It just gives you the best results and everyone loves it:)

It's so much fun to do too!

@Haylo-therapies
Thank you really good to hear that, I am having a lot of enquiries about it too 😄

Not necessarily make up, but a must for me is all the disposable stuff, mascara wands, lips brushes and headbands etc. I always try and keep clean as I go along so I always have Brush disinfect, make up disinfectant and hand cleaning gel with me. Also a diposable bin for tissues and box for the brushes I use.

Make up wise, there is so much. I use Airbase for my foundation and blusher but for everything else, I love benefit (professionals get 40% off!), YSL, Illamasqua & MAC.

Thanks for that :) I am a HD Brow Stylist and always have disposable mascara wands but will stock up on lip brushes and I have various headbands too. So much to buy......least my other half looked up the costs before I did so he knew what to expect me spending :p x

Haha! It's always good to let the OH know. ;-)

Another couple of things you will use a lot, is disposable spatulas and mixing palates. I always get my stuff from www.thepromakeupshop.com.

Happy shopping :)

How do we get a benefit discount?

How do we get a benefit discount?

You need to email them. They will send you a form and you will need to send them your details and certificates.

Fab advice girls....thank you for all the ideas.

Any of you girls used ArtDeco make up???

xx

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back