Which to choose Gelish or Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwtlc

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have been using IBD's Gelac Gel polish for the past year, I found a lot of the polishes were drying up in the bottle (apparently a defect, now they have been discontinued).

So now I have to make the decision to go to a different system. At first I was thinking about trying IBD's new replacement for Gelac: "Just Gel Polish" but as there are not many reviews on it I didn't want to chance it.

I've been trying to decide between CND Shellac or Harmony Gelish. Gelish is in a bottle double the size of the Shellac so that is great price wise but is it just as good as Shellac? I also love the colours Gelish has over Shellac. I'm on a tight budget and just want to make the right choice. Please help!:confused:

I personally love Gelish and did try the Shellac to start with but didn't have a lot of luck. It will be said that it was because I didn't have the correct CND lamp but I didn't want to fork out a small fortune on a lamp and then decide I still couldn't get on with the product so I decided to try out Gelish instead. Nail Harmony don't insist on you using their own UV lamp and you can use any 36 watt lamp plus, as you have already seen, their gels work out much cheaper too. I also found that the base gel for Shellac went gooey by the time I got half way down the bottle which made me have to buy another bottle and waste a lot. So far my Gelish Foundation hasn't done this at all and it lasts forever when all you need to do is put the thinnest thinnest layer of it on the nail plate.

All in all a cheaper system, lasting very well on the majority of nails I've done so far too so if you're on a budget I'd say it's definitely the better option for you. Also, Nail Harmony are offering all their products at the Excel exhibition VAT free so a great saving of 20%. Not to mention they have their new innovation of Gelish Magneto there which I'm dying to get my hands on at the exhibition - it looks brilliant.

Good luck in whatever choice you make. At the end of the day it's personal preference but I definitely know what mine is! :biggrin:

Hi there,

I have been using IBD's Gelac Gel polish for the past year, I found a lot of the polishes were drying up in the bottle (apparently a defect, now they have been discontinued).

So now I have to make the decision to go to a different system. At first I was thinking about trying IBD's new replacement for Gelac: "Just Gel Polish" but as there are not many reviews on it I didn't want to chance it.

I've been trying to decide between CND Shellac or Harmony Gelish. Gelish is in a bottle double the size of the Shellac so that is great price wise but is it just as good as Shellac? I also love the colours Gelish has over Shellac. I'm on a tight budget and just want to make the right choice. Please help!:confused:

When my Gelac dried up in the bottles, I contacted IBD. They asked me to send my Gelac bottles and they replaced all my Gelac with Just Gel. I've used it a few times and it is quite good. I didn't like the base coat so much because I found it hard to remove, but the colours are excellent. The price of Just Gel is pretty good too. I think it is an very good product. And if you already have the IBD stuff, the transition to Just Gel may be the easiest and least costly option for you right now.

As for Shellac or Gelish, my first reaction is yes! That is, get them both because they are complementary products. But if you have to choose between Shellac and Gelish, you can't make a bad choice as they are both excellent products. It's hard to beat the superior marketing clout of CND; clients walk in asking for Shellac. But Gelish's wide assortment of colours and effects as well as an LED cure and Structure, and Gelish's ability to be used with other brands make it a more versatile product than Shellac.

I recently added Gelish to my gel polish inventory, along with Shellac. My personal opinion is I prefer Shellac by far. Never have any issues with it, goes on even and smooth, never shrinks, stays shiney. I am having issues with Gelish with it not being consistent in not shrinking.

Thank you ladies for all your replies. I have to say I do love gelish as it lasts longer but when I was researching on the training courses I thought the CND seemed better as you were getting a starter kit along with training.

I decided to book myself on the CND shellac beginners course. I am excited and nervous and hope I can find a model to come along on day two.

I'm hoping one day I can make a living out of it :) and if I enjoy the course and do well from practising on family and friends I think ill just go ahead and do the gelish too :)

Sorry posted on the wrong thread lol

Latest posts

Back