Whoops, hair disaster

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazmine

Reaction score
There was a news feed a while back about hair disasters. I had a mini one today (well sort of)

A fellow technician aske me to mix up a gloss /00 relights in Wella.

So I mixed the colour from the /00 box and left instructions with apprentice, as it was a clear gloss it was to be left on for 10minutes. Only after the hair going rather pink did we realise some numpty had put /06 in /00 box. I was driving home blissfully unaware. Made worse by the fact that the apprentice applied to hairline and front heavily didn't help!

I always check tubes correspond with boxes-just one that slipped through the net

Oh oh, hope it was your hair not a client. X

Oh no it was a client!

There was a news feed a while back about hair disasters. I had a mini one today (well sort of)

A fellow technician aske me to mix up a gloss /00 relights in Wella.

So I mixed the colour from the /00 box and left instructions with apprentice, as it was a clear gloss it was to be left on for 10minutes. Only after the hair going rather pink did we realise some numpty had put /06 in /00 box. I was driving home blissfully unaware. Made worse by the fact that the apprentice applied to hairline and front heavily didn't help!

I always check tubes correspond with boxes-just one that slipped through the net

A fellow technician asked you to mix a gloss, but you left this with an apprentice. Not sure I fully understand as you then say after the hair was going pink "we" (as in you both) realised the wrong tube was placed in the wrong box! But then you were driving home blissfully unaware, so not sure whether you was there or not? Or did the client drive home blissfully unaware, and not look at it before they left?

How did the client take it? Although pink is quite in at the moment lol.

I hope no one got in trouble as this is a mistake that anyone can make!!! Hope that there was no angry words said?

Oh no apprentices don't mix! I mixed as my colleague was running behind. Left with the apprentice to apply with instructions of development times and follow on products.

It was simply wrong tube in box. Client was fine, two detox shampoos and it was out.

I meant I drove home blissfully unaware of my colleague in a mild panic when she saw pink hair at the basin x

A fellow technician asked you to mix a gloss, but you left this with an apprentice. Not sure I fully understand as you then say after the hair was going pink "we" (as in you both) realised the wrong tube was placed in the wrong box! But then you were driving home blissfully unaware, so not sure whether you was there or not? Or did the client drive home blissfully unaware, and not look at it before they left?

How did the client take it? Although pink is quite in at the moment lol.

I hope no one got in trouble as this is a mistake that anyone can make!!! Hope that there was no angry words said?

I think someone should get in trouble. It might be a mistake, but if people could be bothered to tidy properly and put colours back into the corresponding boxes then this wouldn't have happened.

To the op, I would call a staff meeting and point out the importance of putting things where they belong properly. X

I think someone should get in trouble. It might be a mistake, but if people could be bothered to tidy properly and put colours back into the corresponding boxes then this wouldn't have happened.

To the op, I would call a staff meeting and point out the importance of putting things where they belong properly. X

I think that's a bit harsh!!! I fully understand that the client could have been in trouble and the entire situation could have been A LOT worse, but it wasn't and at the end of the day we are ALL human!!! After all we learn from mistakes and I am sure that it will be pointed out to the staff that this happened.

As the OP stated the situation was rectified and the client was satisfied.

Why be so angry, that's not good!!!

I think that's a bit harsh!!! I fully understand that the client could have been in trouble and the entire situation could have been A LOT worse, but it wasn't and at the end of the day we are ALL human!!! After all we learn from mistakes and I am sure that it will be pointed out to the staff that this happened.

As the OP stated the situation was rectified and the client was satisfied.

Why be so angry, that's not good!!!

I'm not angry as it wasn't my salon, but I make sure all my stock is put away properly, in order and neat, should I employ I would expect the same high standards of perfection from the employees as I always have in other jobs where I have been manager.
Something as simple as tidying up with some care is a basic that should be done properly without little effort. X

I'm not angry as it wasn't my salon, but I make sure all my stock is put away properly, in order and neat, should I employ I would expect the same high standards of perfection from the employees as I always have in other jobs where I have been manager.
Something as simple as tidying up with some care is a basic that should be done properly without little effort. X

Yep, I agree totally, but we are all human. Thank goodness I don't have staff, at least I know if a mistake is made it's my own (touch wood, nothing yet)!!!! I think I would need managerial skills as I am a softie lol.

It's never happened before, I've only over seen once or twice like a 5/0 CT being put in a koleston box and that's an obvious mistake, I should have checked tube corresponded with box which I religiously do with 6/0 and 9/0 as I've heard but never witnessed people using the wrong one!

The apprentice was pulled up and will be refreshed on toner application and there has been a general notice put up regarding putting back colours correctly however were a salon of 7 technicians and 5 trainees plus relights doesn't get used all that often so you can't pin point anyone or level directly. Thankfully client was fine and I'm glad my first mishap in 10 years was only a minor one!

What's the apprentice doing applying it anyway? Also the colour in the bowl shuld have hinted it was the wrong one!!!!

I don't think the apprentice should be apprehended. If you are in charge of the apprentice then 1. It's your fault you mixed or told her to mix wrong thing 2. If she isn't competent in applying a toner you shouldn't let her.

Our apprentices apply toners/run colours through when the technicians are not free to do so.

They are not allowed to mix colours, unless they are trainee technicians due to qualify. I accepted responsibility for not checking The tube corresponded with the box, apologised to team member and will be calling the client when I am back into the salon.

The trainee was pulled up on firstly her application of the toner NOT for applying the wrong one. Secondly for leaving a client at the basin a they are requires to stay at the backwash whilst colours develop. The trainee in person ha passed all her training with regards to tinting and toning so in this instance it was necessary to pull her up on her application.

As I said in first post I mixed and left.

I really only posted as I remembered the thread a while back on hairdressing mishaps in surprised and interested at the response it's generated

I think the original post was a good one pointing out that sometimes when in a hurry, mistakes can happen and also that teamwork is a vital part of the role. x

I think the original post was a good one pointing out that sometimes when in a hurry, mistakes can happen and also that teamwork is a vital part of the role. x

Latest posts

Back