Why are things so hard to get in Oz?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weenetty

Reaction score
Hi everyone I recently opened my own wee beauty over her in nsw and iv found it mad to get simple things I liked to use back in Scotland:
Bed roll - over here they want anywhere from $20-30 for one roll!! And it's scratchy paper or stretchy fabric, I just want the good old fashioned £2.50 a roll proper tissue like bed roll lol.
Mitts to go inside my heated mani and pedi mitts, they do plastic liners but I like the ones that are padded and feel nice when a cling filmed wrap hand goes in and then into my heated mitts, booties.
Facial mitts, I really miss the ones that you can slip your hands into, they are quite thin and don't take up much room in your towel cabbie.
Oh and don't even get me started on bed linen lol, on the plus side its a stunning country, fab people and I'm slowly getting used to doing things a little differently :):)
Think when I visit home I might have to purchase a few wee things lol, or hopefully when I visit the trade show in August over here I will find some things!
Really miss my Perron wax, but hear they may have a possible distributor over here soon!! This makes me happy xx

I know, Australia's so bloody expensive :( I have a look at the prices online in the UK and it's very depressing! Don't even get me started on nail products!! I use both Shellac and Bio Sculpture, and both are possibly the dearest in Australia then anywhere else (but love them too much to use anything else!) in fact all beauty products and equipment are very dear. I'm heading up to Sydney for expo as well so hopefully we can pick up some bargains :D xx

Could you not get a British friend to buy it for you and send it over? The lighter stuff maybe? X

Lol Gillian yes I know I'm looking forward to my first expo over here, I only use Jessica I don't do false nails iv used Jessica for over 11 years but Iv been finding sometimes the quality is not as good polishes etc but unsure if its the distributor has had it sitting for a while as I know it's not as big over here yet. I am thinking about getting my old boss to post me out my wee mitts that I like as they are light and I still have some money left in my uk account :) x

Everything is twice as expensive here in Oz! What UK Geeks are retailing Vinylux for is what us techs here are paying for it :(

Hmm! I'm the same! I try and order most things from outside of Oz where it's cheaper, but most people don't ship down under.

Are there any distributors on here that would be able to send items to Oz?

But if stuff is double the price for you to buy, surely you charge double we do? I would be x

Beauty is very competitive in Aus so it's very hard to charge more. The average price to charge for shellac in my area is $35 which is about 22 pound, so I think that's roughly what geeks charge in the UK, but purchasing shellac bottles is very expensive :(

The best bed roll i think is versa towel made by Kimberly Clark, it's much softer than the yucky ones they sell at all the wholesalers. I buy it from livingstone medical supplies, they have many salon items available.

I also think $35 is far too cheap for shellac. We should be charging $40 at LEAST if not more as recommended by cnd. Competition is fierce where i have my salon yet we are all still raising our prices steadily and the discount nail bars are no threat at all.

But it's competitive here, there's people charging £12 for Shellac!! I'd be making sure I was making profit x

But it's competitive here, there's people charging £12 for Shellac!! I'd be making sure I was making profit x

There are salons here that can charge $15-20 for shellac as well. They're crazy to be thinking they're making business so it's best not to worry about them xx

I'm hopping over from hair, but my salon does beauty and hair in Perth. I'm also finding everything so expensive :( I'm from the uk originally. Gloves are my pet peeve ten times the price lol

I am planning on moving to Oz within the next 5 years.

I think I will leave my mum / sister all my log on / cards for the retailers over in the UK when I move then get them to ship it over lol :) xx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

I am planning on moving to Oz within the next 5 years.

I think I will leave my mum / sister all my log on / cards for the retailers over in the UK when I move then get them to ship it over lol :) xx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Lol leely
Just remember some things are hard to get in the country and you may be charged import tax when it reaches the country :( it's not too bad you just make it the best for you and more and more people are becoming distributors over here making it easier for us, however I worry sometimes about the quality as I have found a few things wrong with my Jessica stock and I wonder if it sits over here for a while because its not as big as it is in the uk? I have the rep and distributor coming to see me Friday so I'm going to ask a few questions :)
X

The best bed roll i think is versa towel made by Kimberly Clark, it's much softer than the yucky ones they sell at all the wholesalers. I buy it from livingstone medical supplies, they have many salon items available.

I also think $35 is far too cheap for shellac. We should be charging $40 at LEAST if not more as recommended by cnd. Competition is fierce where i have my salon yet we are all still raising our prices steadily and the discount nail bars are no threat at all.

I think I have that on order aplina fingers crossed its better than the noisey scratchy stuff I'm currently using lol x

Latest posts

Back