Why do clients choose to go to a salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chlo

Reaction score
Hi,

Before anyone says, I'm not asking you to do my work for me, this is purely part of my studies as i need to be sourcing information.

I'm wondering if I can get some opinions from people please. I am carrying out a research report on Professional Beauty Treatments Versus DIY Treatments.

I'm gathering different bits of information from questionnaires, case studies to focus groups and forum discussions. I am wanting to gather your opinions on why you think people choose to go to salons for treatments even through this economic downturn. And on the other hand why people choose not to go, even if they may be able to afford it.

Any opinions or questions would be great

Thanks in advance

Personally for me I'd rather go to a salon unless it was my friend that did treatments, my sister in law is a hairdresser And comes to me and I do that cause she brings her kids that play with mine but I would not hAve a stranger in my house plus for me if I wanted pampering then I'd want Away from the house, kids, husband etc for a few hours and not having to worry thAt the house is immaculate and someone coming into it etc

That's great. Yeah I suppose everyone is so stressed with money etc at the moment that you still need something for yourself otherwise its pointless working and you don't get to unwind x

I personally prefer to go to a salon because I feel that I get the full works then :) .. I get to relax properly, have my hair washed in a proper backwash rather than uncomfortably leaning over a bath or doing it myself and also i kind of see it as 'me' time and time out :) xx

I don't mind if it's in a salon or at home as long as the atmosphere perfect for relaxing! I believe no matter whats going on at the moment people still want to look after themselves to look good and feel good! People are working harder and longer hours so are looking for relaxation time :)

I would choose to go to a salon because they can do something that I cant, or use products that I cant get hold of. There are plenty of DIY nail/beauty products available and in the current financial climate I think that clients will choose to do their own if they can acheive the same results at home. As we know many clients do try to do this, but many of them then end up going to a salon because they realise that a professional can get better results than they can get with DIY treatments. They also realise that DIY products are a false economy because they are spending money on something that doesnt work/doesnt look very good, so their money is better spent getting the job done properly in the first place. Some clients realise that its better to pay to get the job done right without doing through the stage of experimenting with DIY products first, but some clients have to go through the learning experience of making their own mistakes before they realise that some jobs are best left to the professionals.

Thank you everyone very much for spending the time to reply I really appreciate your thoughts and opinions. Do we think on the whole the beauty industry is managing to survive the recession? Because clients do still want to have their little luxuries? X

I believe it is, I believe they still want to look good so are still having things like there nails done, feet, lashes, tans, waxing and then maybe not having as many massages. Don't know what everyone else thinks? :)

I think the beauty industry is surviving the recession really well. Of course, it has been affected, it was bound to happen, and I think the majority of us can say that we have seen a decrease in business, but I dont think its decreased to the point where its threatening to damage our businesses.

If you were to ask most women, they would tell you that they consider certain beauty treatments to be essential rather than luxuries. It's about looking groomed and presentable which is important in most people's careers, so they would consider having their nails and waxing done to be as important in their grooming routine as taking a shower!! I agree that some treatments have taken a dip such as massage and facials because these are more likely to be perceived as luxury treatments, but most women would not be prepared to be seen in public with no nails on or hairy legs, me included!!

Yeah that's exactly what I think. And it's like anything you pay for what you get, so if you pay to go to a professional for a treatment then you get professional results. What about people who can afford to go to salons but choose not to? Do you think that could be down to confidence? X

Yeah that's exactly what I think. And it's like anything you pay for what you get, so if you pay to go to a professional for a treatment then you get professional results. What about people who can afford to go to salons but choose not to? Do you think that could be down to confidence? X

I personally think the people that can afford it but still chose to do it themselves are the ones that think this industry is easy, and feel they know best, so choose to do it at home...some not even realising what kind of damage they can be doing to their nails/hair/skin.

Absolutely and they don't realise the training that we actually go through and the difference in the treatments by a professional X

I personally think the people that can afford it but still chose to do it themselves are the ones that think this industry is easy, and feel they know best, so choose to do it at home...some not even realising what kind of damage they can be doing to their nails/hair/skin.

I disagree with this.
In my 'former' life I was working 80-90 hours a week and travelled between Newcastle- Leeds- London - Colchester - Birmingham. I was rarely at home and the last thing I would be thinking about would be booking in to a salon. When i was home, Id be pretty knackered and would try & catch up with everything I missed in the week.
When I did ring (invariably the day before) then there would never be any spaces. At this point, I'd think 'sod it' (or words to that effect...) I'd do it myself. This wasn't because I thought I could do it any better (on the contrary, I would MUCH rather go to a salon and be pampered) but it was simply because it was quicker and fitted in to my life.
I don't think everyone works that many hours a week but some people do and, combined with commitments of kids, families, pets etc it means people don't have a lot of time.

I never used or considered thinking about using someone mobile as for me, the whole pampering experience in a lovely, quiet salon (away from home) makes for a real treat.

Latest posts

Back