Will this work? Colour stripping

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemmii56

Reaction score
My colleague told me today that head and shoulders work with stripping colour out of hair?!

I've never heard of this? Does it work?

Most probably but will ruin the hair too, Iv heard of people using fairy liquid and soap powder

Hi I used vosene medicated shampoo wash leave for 15-20 repeated 3 times on different occasions and it was completely gone, however it was only lowlights I was stripping out, hope this helps xxx

Yep it does work, I stripped all the red out of my hair with head and shoulders to go back blonde, takes a while tho x

Blimey! My sister is willing to be a guinea pig, did you leave it on and did you do it more than once?

Just wash it normally for afew weeks with head and shoulders every day and the colour will slowly life x

I washed my hair with it everyday 5+ time and really scrubbed it, then used a nice conditioner x

And why is anyone here recommending cheap A products? A good clarifier will do the same job and looks more professional than telling clients to get a product that causes and maintains a flaky scalp? Xoxo

We are not recommending it just stating what it does!

My colleague told me today that head and shoulders work with stripping colour out of hair?!

I've never heard of this? Does it work?

Try Paul Mitchell Level 3 shampoo, works a treat to get rid of colour! x

The idea head and shoulders 'strips' colour is a hairdressing myth. The fact is that water is the only cause of colour fade during shampooing. Washing the hair with any shampoo will not fade the colour any more than just using plain water.

However some shampoos can help protect coloured hair, by essentially water-proofing the hair. So using a non-conditioning shampoo would be the best choice. Better still take up swimming and watch the colour drain away in no time.

Affinage ice white is a nice clarifying shampoo leave on for a few mins, i recommend this to all my clients :) x

The idea head and shoulders 'strips' colour is a hairdressing myth. The fact is that water is the only cause of colour fade during shampooing. Washing the hair with any shampoo will not fade the colour any more than just using plain water.

However some shampoos can help protect coloured hair, by essentially water-proofing the hair. So using a non-conditioning shampoo would be the best choice. Better still take up swimming and watch the colour drain away in no time.

I would tend not to agree with this I'm affraid.
Not wanting to start a fight but let me explain how shamp 3 works.
Most shampoos just cleanse the outer cuticles of the hair, shampoo two cleans between the cuticles shampoo three cleanses right in to the cortex. It removes caffeine, medication, chlorine, nicotine and around just about every other substance that enters the hair structure from either internal (blood supply) or external (hair colour) factors ;)

I probably should have mentioned its black she wants rid of. She wants it lightened to a chocolate brown- I'm thinking a cleanse would be better what's your best Efforts guys? Getting rid of black I am yet to experience :/

I probably should have mentioned its black she wants rid of. She wants it lightened to a chocolate brown- I'm thinking a cleanse would be better what's your best Efforts guys? Getting rid of black I am yet to experience :/

Nothing will touch it but bleach I'm affraid

I would tend not to agree with this I'm affraid.
Not wanting to start a fight but let me explain how shamp 3 works.
Most shampoos just cleanse the outer cuticles of the hair, shampoo two cleans between the cuticles shampoo three cleanses right in to the cortex. It removes caffeine, medication, chlorine, nicotine and around just about every other substance that enters the hair structure from either internal (blood supply) or external (hair colour) factors ;)

Hi there, i wouldn't think you were trying to start a fight, i love discussion :)
I would say although it sounds resonable for shampoo to remove colour, it has been well studied and shown not to. For example here is a quote from the 'Proctor and Gamble haircolor research update' (for those that don't know, they make everything from Wella to Head&Shoulders) :

"Fading due to water exposure is often related to a damaged cuticle. When the cuticle is overly compromised, water can more easily enter the cortex and some of the colour molecules can be pulled away and washed away. Shampoos do not strip colour. In fact, data shows that water alone is responsible for the majority of colour lost during shampooing. Conditioning shampoos and conditioners containing cationic surfactants and water proofing amino silicones can help combat the effects of water exposure."

I would agree with you that shampoo removes residue from enviromental factors. Shampoo is designed to remove non water soluble gunk from the hair, otherwise we could just use water.

Im not sure about internal factors, for example hair can be used in drug testing..

Hi there, i wouldn't think you were trying to start a fight, i love discussion :)
I would say although it sounds resonable for shampoo to remove colour, it has been well studied and shown not to. For example here is a quote from the 'Proctor and Gamble haircolor research update' (for those that don't know, they make everything from Wella to Head&Shoulders) :

"Fading due to water exposure is often related to a damaged cuticle. When the cuticle is overly compromised, water can more easily enter the cortex and some of the colour molecules can be pulled away and washed away. Shampoos do not strip colour. In fact, data shows that water alone is responsible for the majority of colour lost during shampooing. Conditioning shampoos and conditioners containing cationic surfactants and water proofing amino silicones can help combat the effects of water exposure."

I would agree with you that shampoo removes residue from enviromental factors. Shampoo is designed to remove non water soluble gunk from the hair, otherwise we could just use water.

Im not sure about internal factors, for example hair can be used in drug testing..

I have used shampoo three for years .If my toner grabs too much. It removes it..
So according to you all shampoos do is remove gunk therefore why are we convincing 1000s of clients to buy our good quality ones over say 1 generic shampoo?
Also if course proctor and gamble are going to say that! How many people do you think avoid buying their products because they have heard they will strip their expensive colour??
If it was independent studies then I would think differently but it's rather like Benson And Hedges doing research on the affects of smoking lol
D

I have used shampoo three for years .If my toner grabs too much. It removes it..
So according to you all shampoos do is remove gunk therefore why are we convincing 1000s of clients to buy our good quality ones over say 1 generic shampoo?
Also if course proctor and gamble are going to say that! How many people do you think avoid buying their products because they have heard they will strip their expensive colour??
If it was independent studies then I would think differently but it's rather like Benson And Hedges doing research on the affects of smoking lol
D

Do you think that 'expensive' or 'salon' shampoo contain better or more high quality ingrediants?

Do you think that 'expensive' or 'salon' shampoo contain better or more high quality ingrediants?

Yes. All the products I use and retail are water soluble and are quality. I can say in all faith that my products will make the hair feel better than their current shampoo and conditioner (unlike when you see on the tv adverts for cheapo items that it makes the hair visually better quality using their system of shampoo, conditioner, mask and leave in conditioner versus non conditioning shampoo alone) xoxo

Latest posts

Back