Wondering about renting room elsewhere

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mootiful

Reaction score
I've been in my current salon since February, I was employed, the only one amongst self employed staff. The owner had numerous groupon and type deals on that she was doing, which I then took over. She offered me to go self employed and I decided to take the plunge in June.
I was still honouring the remaining groupon clients and didn't get much for it really, most haven't came back.

There is another well established beauty therapist and I'm struggling at times to be busy. The other girl advised me that certain months weren't very busy and she wasn't sure how well we'd both do. I spoke with the owner and she made out like the other girl was trying to put me off, but I know feel she was right.

I've heard about another salon with a room to rent, new owners have just taken over and they're expanding and going through a makeover, it's only 5 mins away from my current salon. I've arranged to go and see it this week, but I'm not sure whether it's the right move yet, I feel like maybe I should see it out in my current salon to see how things go, I currently pay £40 rent a day, £160 for 4 days.

I would appreciate people's opinions on this please.

Thanks

I really don't see how moving 5 minutes away will get you more clients.

I really don't see how moving 5 minutes away will get you more clients.
It's about if it's a better move, as in if rent is a lot cheaper and if I'd be the only Beauty Therapist etc. My current work has another well established beauty therapist and I don't know if there is enough clients for us both to be busy enough.

My question was, as I'm building my business should I still give it a go for longer where I am, or potentially take the opportunity to move, if there is better benefits to me in doing so.

First, it can take between one and three years to become fully booked.
My point was: a salon 5 minutes from your current one will still be drawing from the same client pool. Do you see what I mean? Whether you are the only therapist or not, it's the same potential client pool.

To be honest, I'm struggling to understand why you carried on doing the Salon owner's groupon deals for her after you went self employed? What was in it for you?

If the new salon has had a make-over, you will get some clients booking in just because it's new and shiny so it could be worth the move, especially if you're the only beauty therapist working there. It could also be a good opportunity to re-brand yourself and go more upmarket and get away from the image of a 'bargain basement cheap dealz' type therapist. (Assuming that the salon isn't another Groupon type.)

Latest posts

Back