Work experience girl... what are your thoughts?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickij

Reaction score
Last week I had an old school friends mum come in for a treatment and she mentioned that her youngest daughter is at college doing beauty therapy but is not yet qualified but would love a chance to do some work experience with me.

I said that her daughter should contact me and tht we could meet up for a chat to see what she had in mind etc...

Well the girl's is due to pop in and see me this friday and I'm now wondering what I will actually be able to do for this girl.

See the thing is I'm self employed and work alone renting space in a hotel with one treatment room and a small reception area... I'm not sure what she'll be able to do coz if she's not qualified she cant really do treatments on my customers can she? and also even if shes just observing wouldnt that put some clients off?

just looking for advice from you geeks who may have been in this position before.

thanks
:)

To be honest, letting her do the smallest things would help her get an insight.. making/taking calls, shampooing, maybe a couple of treatments - it'll all look good on her CV, and it'll boost her chances of getting where she wants to be. It's really difficult to find jobs at the moment, every little helps!
x

i think she'd gain something from watching how you do a treatment and how you interact with clients.

there are quite a few gaps between what you learn from college and what you learn from the real world of work (in my opinion) so maybe just having her observe you and help set up the treatment area for half a day a week would be constructive (as long as it wouldn't put off clients)

If she ws a nice girl and eager I would take her on! even just get her experience of the running of a salon (its very very different than t college). then on quiet times see if she has frinds to bring in an practice on ??! :confused:

Latest posts

Back