Work experience

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elizabethashton

Reaction score
I have been contact by a Mum of a girl at a local school who wants to be a makeup artist. She wants to come for work experience for a week with me. I explained I do hairdressing as well so it wouldn't be a week full of makeup work. Although that week I do have 2 weddings and a trial booked in. One of the days I have ladies day at ascot so I am not working and another a competition I am in. I explained when not working admin needs doing and her mum said she didn't think that part would be something she is interested in, despite admin being part of my job....
I am interest to see if anyone has been in the same position and would have done / would do.
Thanks in advance

I haven't done this but don't think I would firstly Not sure how it would all work insurance wise (if you are mobile)
But as you said admin is an important part of any business so she needs to be happy with anything that you want to show her xx

Im a little suprised that the mother rang on behalf of the child. When i done work experiance it was up to me to do it. I always find it a little off putting when parents do this.

It sounds like a good idea but she should definatly do admin aswell, part of the parcel as you cant have one with out the other. To bad if she doesnt want to

I e had plenty of work experience and the ones who made the effort to come in on their own were much better than the one girl who's mum came in and made the arrangements. She didn't want to do cleaning paperwork or anything! I was tearing my hair out and sent her home early most days.

Jemima :)

I would say she needs to experience every part of the job if she wants you to take her on. I'd also say you need to speak to her in person to have a chat.

It sets alarm bells ringing to me already that her mum is saying "she wont want to do that bit" and the fact she wants to be an mua, I think she thinks its a breeze and will be a pain. I'd stipulate what she WILL be doing, and what she wont as I can imagine she thinks she will be doing your clients.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have 14 years as a wedding MUA and never taken anyone that wasn't insured or qualified to a job.

From the brides point of view I don't think a wedding or trial is a good place to bring someone on work experience

The brides are going to be nervous as it is and to have someone just standing there asking random questions or just standing there doing nothing in their home or wedding venue and poss getting in the way, could upset the bride and reflect badly on your business if you don't ask them prior to the trial or wedding if it's ok to bring this girl along.

Maybe you should suggest to the mother that her daughter find work experience at a large store like John Lewis at one of their makeup counters like Mac or Bobbi brown as they will be able insure her and they will have additional staff to show her some of the ropes as they will be use to this sort of thing.

Also by law all work experience please have to have health and safety risk assessments done and the company had to pay for them.

Last edited:
The more I think of it the more I am opposed. Like you said her mum rang not her, also admin is a huge part of the job. There is no way would be working on my clients, so she would be sat about.

I will contact them today and say I can't help. While l would love to help her out, I can't see it working.

Latest posts

Back