Work experience?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mashavings

Reaction score
Hi all,

I qualified in level 2 beauty in February this year and then did a spray tan and nail enhancement course.

I'm a career changer (40 next year [emoji22]!) and couldn't face the thought of working for someone as a newbie so set up as a mobile therapist.

I've been going since May and have seen probably one client on average a week and have one client who is a repeat now.
My bookings are from Wahanda, I did use gumtree but I came off as I was getting some 'hard work' clients from there.

I'm struggling with my confidence, I've no idea if I'm good enough. The lack of repeat bookings would suggest to me that I'm not?

Should I approach local salons to gain some work experience or is this normal when first setting out as normal?

Thanks in advance x

Hi,

I think it is normal for someone just setting out. If you look at the top of the business discussion they have quite a few ideas there to help you gain more clients, like talking to owners of wedding shops, giving out gift vouchers etc.

Don't loose hope.

Before a client leaves,do you get your appointment diary out and say 'ok I suggest x amount of weeks when are you free?' Or the likes of? Or do you just say call me when you are ready for another app? My advice-always get that diary out and book them in before they leave xx

I am no longer mobile but when I was, after some time in a salon, I only had two repeat customers. I think some people do want just a one-off treatment occasionally so perhaps just put it down to that. How about when you're at their house, when they are paying and before you leave say "would you like to book in your next appointment" because they may not have even thought about it or you could even do a special offer and say "this month I have a promotion going, if you book in the month of August, you receive 10% off". Some people don't always have the cash to have regular treatments and it's more of a treat for them so I wouldn't be too disheartened. Keep at it and keep advertising your business. You have only been going since May so you are doing well :) xx

Hi,

I think it is normal for someone just setting out. If you look at the top of the business discussion they have quite a few ideas there to help you gain more clients, like talking to owners of wedding shops, giving out gift vouchers etc.

Don't loose hope.
I'll have a look, thanks :)

Before a client leaves,do you get your appointment diary out and say 'ok I suggest x amount of weeks when are you free?' Or the likes of? Or do you just say call me when you are ready for another app? My advice-always get that diary out and book them in before they leave xx
I haven't been no, I think I'm a bit scared they're going to turn round and tell me that there's no way they'd rebook because I'm rubbish!!! It's a good idea, I will woman up and try it! ;)

I am no longer mobile but when I was, after some time in a salon, I only had two repeat customers. I think some people do want just a one-off treatment occasionally so perhaps just put it down to that. How about when you're at their house, when they are paying and before you leave say "would you like to book in your next appointment" because they may not have even thought about it or you could even do a special offer and say "this month I have a promotion going, if you book in the month of August, you receive 10% off". Some people don't always have the cash to have regular treatments and it's more of a treat for them so I wouldn't be too disheartened. Keep at it and keep advertising your business. You have only been going since May so you are doing well :) xx
Thank you :) I like the idea of offering 10% off, thats a great idea.

Hi hun!

Congrats on deciding to change direction! I was 34 when I ditched the day job & went back to college, best thing I did.

I'm in kinda the same situation as you are now, I was renting a space in a salon & found 90% of my clients would return. I've now moved to a new area & started up mobile & although I have 2-3 bookings a week not one has returned! (still early days tho)

I put it down to 2 things-

In my old area ladies had tans, lashes & nails done constantly so they were happy to pay cheaper prices on a regular basis.The general 'look' for the area was perma tans, hair extensions, fake nails & fake lashes. (I honestly dont mean this as harsh as it probably sounds! I myself currently sport bright blonde hair, extensions & about 200 crystals on my tootsies! ) The area was saturated with cheap prices so £15 a fortnight for gel nails was the norm. In my new area prices are generally higher & I've found ladies are not so inclined to have treatments as much, BUT they happliy spend more on their one off treatments. They think nothing of spending £50-£60 getting ready for a holiday, for a special (one day) occasion or prom. I've had to rethink my target market completely.

What are clients in your area after?

And secondly, all those regular, loyal, clients that do go for regular treatments (and I'm sure they are not a mythical creature-they do exist somewhere!) have been going somewhere.... You have to work twice as hard to capture these ones. They are not googling local therapists, there not actively looking for you as they are happy where they are. Work out what you do different/better/ more amazing & market that aspect to try & reel them in.

Cant remember if some has posted a link to Lynns thread about promoting your business, but its a fab read, lots of ideas, if you search for it I think its pinned to the top of the business forum.

Sorry about the essay! Faaar too much coffee already this morning xxx

Set up a facebook page and advertise through all the local pages in your area. You haven't been going very long to be honest as it's taken me at least 18 months to get as busy as I am. Do some leaflet drops too.

Latest posts

Back