Working from home

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divine_beauty

divine beauty by leanne
Reaction score
Hi I used to be mobile which I hated then spent ova a year working in salon but since bought my new house which ive converted Into a treatment room. (Work in progress) but have been a bit disheartened by clients expecting cheap as chips even tho its all the best of products I use (n.s.i and balance gel, young nails, shellac and gelish, etc ) my prices are slightly cheaper than the salon by about £3/4 yet still I get the impression ppl dnt realise im still giving them the same salon standard and finish even if it is from home. 1 woman thought it was unacceptable I charged her £18 for a infill and gel polish colour change ( took me 1 1/2 hrs) 😯

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think it depends how you market yourself. I concentrate on promoting my skills, knowledge, experience and top quality products I use. Most of my prices, especially nails, is on a par if not more expensive (acrylics) than local salons. I've had people call up and query the price, some won't book because of this, others do and then say their nails are now so much better than they've had done before. These are the clients who always recommend me too. I'm gathering a nice client base now who are happy to pay my prices and are thrilled with their nails.

Maybe it took slighter longer to get this regular client base than if I'd gone cheap but I don't regret it and I know they value my work and not just looking for a cheap service.

i also work from home but i charge £10, quite a lot less than the salons do and i also use only the proper products, cnd and artistic but i have only recently started up so at the moment i am just building up my client base before i will put up my price. £18 is a fair amount to be charging. obviously ut depends where you live but in manchester £18 is what someone would charge to do home visits so i would think that if you are home based in your house, you would need to charge less.

Im the salon I worked it was £22 for infill and re app of gel polish. It wouldnt really b woth my time for less concidering I charge £15 for gel polish so basically gettin infill for £3. I charge more for rockstar/swarovskis or nail art. Im based in glasgow city so very competitive with nss bars but I jus feel it wouldnt b worth my time dropping any of my prices. And ppl are amazed that they last so long etc but moan about the price?? Puts me off my plan of opening up a salon nxt yr as my prices would NEED to go up slightly.. u can get a set of acrylics done round the corner for £10 and they r awful! So many ppl hav came to me to try fix them when I try to explain would prob cost lesd jus to come to me the first place by the time ive filed reshaped others work... feeling very confused xxc

i also work from home but i charge £10, quite a lot less than the salons do and i also use only the proper products, cnd and artistic but i have only recently started up so at the moment i am just building up my client base before i will put up my price. £18 is a fair amount to be charging. obviously ut depends where you live but in manchester £18 is what someone would charge to do home visits so i would think that if you are home based in your house, you would need to charge less.

I would b running at a loss charging £10 for taking gel polish off... infilling... then re applying gel polish... it costs roughly £8 to do and hour n half of time so making £10 of profit which gets broke down into wage/ n.i / tax...

Obviously you'd need to be in tune with the market, especially when you are just starting out and people don't know you or your work. But, don't go too cheap either. I did sort of "promotion" when first started out from home, and my prices were a bit cheaper then I'd prefer to begin with. I thought I'd raise them later on, but just could never bring myself to do it! This is my second year, my prices are still the same (much cheaper then salon's). I've got a nice part time client base (I don't advertise, it's referral only). And all new clients coming in say that they've never had the job that good. I am sure they wouldn't mind paying a bit more for my services. In fact I've heard from a few already how "good" my prices are. Which means I'm charging way too little :/ And to be honest I'm struggling with making a good profit, because of how much it costs me to buy all the products.
So, what I'm trying to say, figure out what you need to charge to make a profit, don't underestimate yourself, and go from there. The best advice I've heard is to start out as you mean to go. I was too stupid not to follow it myself!

Yeah ive got a loyalty card going with each client... after 5 stamps ur 6th treatment 1/2 price then after 10 stamps free treatment of choice. im doing a promo at the mo that all acrylics are £20 for this month only so see how it goes. X

It's been said before....many times over i'm afraid, but it's because the market is FLOODED.. cheap pricing/no profit= no business!
We charge £25.00 for Shellac.We are a hairdressing salon,and as the clients are in the salon, having their hair done, most are happy to treat themselves to nails as an add on, as it's a nice environment, good atmosphere, friendly staff etc.....however, we have had comments regarding 'Joe Bloggs' down the road....blah blah..and as I've said before, jog on!
No point working for no profit.

Keep your head up and charge what you're worth! I'm currently working from home at the minute, and my prices are relatively the same as when I was at the salon (on the higher end for this area). I'm not gonna lie, I have had people call and ask for prices, then tell me "but do do nails does it for £xx". They're not the clients I want anyway so I don't care how much "salon pas cher" is doing their treatments for. But I also get clients who have had bad experience from these places, and have chosen me based on my ratings. They're the ones who don't really look at price tags- they just want a good proper treatment. They're slow coming, but once you get them and they like you, they'll stick with you and tell their friends. :)

I always worry when people say they charge £10. I felt it was better to be realistic with people about what my prices where from the start then they dont get a shock a few months down the line when ur prices suddenly go up. I decided to offer a % off then they knew what the price was when this stopped.

Latest posts

Back