Working tax credit and apprenticeships

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Softsofa

Reaction score
Hello
I was wondering if anyone knew if I was to start a level 2 hairdressing apprenticeship would I be entitled to working tax credit and the child care element? I can't find any information on the hmrc website regarding this.
Thanks for taking the time to read.
Sophia x

I would phone them for info I think you need to be 25+

The best people to contact would be HMRC. They can give you the correct answer.

Everyones situation is different regarding income etc so there is no point asking on a forum as you may get an incorrect answer.

Go to entitledto.com and see if that gives you any help.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Ill give them a call tomorrow I'm just being inpatient! I have a 12 month old. I get child tax credits just hoping that an apprenticeship is classed as working to the working tax credit office! :)
Thank you for your replies xx

I think an apprenticeship is classed as education. There is an online calculator to see if eligible. Google direct gov. It's them that handle benefits not HMRC.

HMRC handle working and child tax credits.

DWP handle income support, PIP, JSA etc.

Your local authority handle housing benefit and council tax support.

Although its all being rolled into 1 soon but those are the people you need to ring if you need help.

Go to entitledto to do a calculation and see if there is any help. Xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you! None of the calculators ask you specifically what type of job you are doing. It just asks for hours. It looks like I would be able to get it but that is based on hours not being an apprentice. It's so confusing! Some websites say that apprenticships are classed as employed and are in receipt of a national apprentice minimum wage, so therefore technically in my mind I should be entitled to the working tax credit. But then again the rules change all the time so I really need to call them! Xx

Hmmm I would say it would be working but I see what banner penguin says and it may be classed as education.

But you don't get paid for eduction by an employer but you do if you are working.

Deffo phone the tax credits helpline they will tell you instantly and in my experience have been very helpful.

Jemima :)

Hi thought I would just update, I've called up the tax credit office and they have informed me that as long as I am employed with a salon and working 16 hours a week at least then should be able to make claim. :)

Latest posts

Back