worried sick about gels cracking, breaking, coming off or going wrong

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fisewell

Reaction score
Ive been working mobile for 4 months as I only just qualified. I am confident in my nail art, manicures, pedicures etc but I worry sick about my gels. Im NVQ qualified but I did an Edge Gel course. I used the edge gel for a couple of months and although they looked really good when I'd finished them, they weren't lasing as they were cracking, breaking or lifting etc and I kept asking for advice and tried different methods to sort out problems. I then changed gel to IBD which is sooooo much better and I dont get cracking or breaking and they still look good for ages. I have had a few probs with chipping on the free edge which I have been asking people for advice and hopefully will now be able to sort it out. I just worry sick and it knocks my confidence when this happens, but I just keep telling myself to stick with it and keep trying and I always tell my clients how long Ive been doing it and if they experience any problems then to call me and I will sort it out for them as I would hate to loose them as a client through something that can be sorted and also any feedback (good or bad) just keeps making me more determined. I believe in myself and know one day I will be bashing out the best nails. I thought I was the only one who was experiencing things like this until I signed up to salon geek and started reading everyone else's stories. Glad I found salon geek. x:smack::smack:

Hi and welcome to the site :D

Do you give your clients an aftercare leaflet outlining how they should look after their new enhancements?
If not then it's a good thing to give to them.

You must remember that after clients leave the appointment that they're the ones who need to take care of their enhancements and they must respect their new nails and not treat them as indestructible tools.

If you can get over the "it must be my fault" syndrome then you'll start to have more confidence :hug:

hth's a bit

Ive been working mobile for 4 months as I only just qualified. I am confident in my nail art, manicures, pedicures etc but I worry sick about my gels. Im NVQ qualified but I did an Edge Gel course. I used the edge gel for a couple of months and although they looked really good when I'd finished them, they weren't lasing as they were cracking, breaking or lifting etc and I kept asking for advice and tried different methods to sort out problems. I then changed gel to IBD which is sooooo much better and I dont get cracking or breaking and they still look good for ages. I have had a few probs with chipping on the free edge which I have been asking people for advice and hopefully will now be able to sort it out. I just worry sick and it knocks my confidence when this happens, but I just keep telling myself to stick with it and keep trying and I always tell my clients how long Ive been doing it and if they experience any problems then to call me and I will sort it out for them as I would hate to loose them as a client through something that can be sorted and also any feedback (good or bad) just keeps making me more determined. I believe in myself and know one day I will be bashing out the best nails. I thought I was the only one who was experiencing things like this until I signed up to salon geek and started reading everyone else's stories. Glad I found salon geek. x:smack::smack:
Hi hun,
I know the nail industry is hard,ive taken critisium about my nails in the past,and unfortunatly im not the sort of person that can let it go over my head,i always take it to heart,and i think ive gotta get out of that.Nail Geek is excellent,Im trained in Bio Sculpture,and im starting to become on a downer with it,i havent been using it for long,i spoke to another geek earlier who finds the same probs with the product,so now i know its not just me,so i feel better about myself now,just frustrated to think im going to have to pay out for another course for another product.But if you have any probs ,just call The Nail Geek,i dont feel left alone out there no more and to find out things for myself,i can just ask all these nice peeps on here.xx

Hi,

After reading your post i am a bit concerned. I have just got the edge acrylic trial pack to see if i like it. You say you used it for the gel did you use it for the acrylic and if so did you have any problems.

You're not alone hun, i have nearly finished training and i know i will be a nightmare. I am such a perfectionist, that i will be still saying to clients " I'm new to this , i have only just passed!" about 5 years down the line :wink2:. I bet i'll have sleepless nights worrying about the nails i do, i'll most probally end up stalking the clients just to make sure the nails are ok. :cry:

All the best, and have faith in your self. xxx

Hi and welcome to the site!

You sound similar to me a few years ago, I went through a dodgy stage with gels, further training and lots more experience helped though. Unfortunately for me, I worked mobile (now work from home) and never actually spoke to another nail tech for three years until I got the internet and found this site. I know how it feels to think you're the only one with probs - but I think we've all been there. And in the early days it does knock your confidence and I know I let a few people take advantage. All a big learning curve.

I'm happy to say I came out the other side and am very confident in my work. You'll be fine, and as you say, this site is a great place to come for inspiration and advice xx

I am currently using the edge acrylic at college as Im now doing NVQ 3 and thats what we are instructed to use but Ive never done acrylics before so Ive got nothing to compare it too. I wasn't going to use it on clients tho cas I like my IBD products and was going to use IBD acrylic. Thats probably along way off yet judging by the state of me acrylics at the mo!!! hahaha. Im not knocking the egde, I just didn't find it worked for me. x

Thanks for advice, Will have a go with the sample pack and see what i think. I guess as i am new to this i will get a few different trial packs and see what i like best. Thanks again, xx

As Sandi says the client has to look after them when you leave them. You will gain confidence as time goes by hun, dont be hard on yourself! If the client has probs they will either call you or go elsewhere, if they go elsewhere you will gain another!
Did you do a conversion course for IBD? Just wondering cause it may help with confidence in your ability. Even some of the most experienced geeks on here need help sometimes! Thats the great thing about this site we learn something new every day!:lol:

I used to be like you, always thinking it was my fault. Then I started to think, why do some people come back with no problems at all and others look like they have been through a war? Well a lot of the reason is because it's not what I had done, but what the client was doing when she leaves the salon.

Only the other day I had a lady come in having quite a go at me about how she had already broken 2 nails, how the free edge was chipping off, how the glue I was using couldn't be strong enough (god I hate that one), how her daughter had had no problems with her nails that were done in Germany blah blah blah ... and how it was now FOUR weeks since I had put them on and what was I going to do about it. I told her all about how you should only go 2 weeks for your first rebalance, how it's not an exact science, how you cannot compare one person to another and so on ... and ended with saying that either she comes and has a rebalance that is way overdue, or finds another tech. She went off slightly huffy, but phoned within an hour to rebook. She came in, got charged extra for going over 3 weeks and bought solar oil. Sometimes you just have to be firm ... although I think she will be one of those continual nightmare clients, oh joy!

What I am getting at here is not to take the blame if you feel it's not your fault, and to be confident enough to say so. If you keep giving freebie repairs then what incentive is there for your clients to hold to their end of the deal and look after your work? Breaks and chips only happen if force is applied to them - the main reason for this is either the client having nails too long for her lifestyle and or/ that you have not built up your stress zone enough and working too thin!

Latest posts

Back