Would this work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beauty Within

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
I currently rent in the back of a salon slowly building up my business, been here for 6 months now and just getting by.
The problem is me and my boyfriend are getting a house.
There's no way I want to give up my beauty room and there's no way I can carry on living with my mum.
I thought maybe just until my beauty business picks up I got a part time job just so I know I have enough to pay bills when I have a bad week as weeks are up and down at the moment.
Has anyone ever done this would it work?
Any advice much appriciated
Thankyou
X

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

if you have a part time job then ur restricting potential income from your room- your losing time there.

why dont you try and generate new clients and offers etc - use your time to try and promote the job you have!

when you work for yourself then you need all ur energy for that - i did part time work to help with bills etc - but i couldnt commit to both!
so i focused on building my clientèle - i can earn the same in two hrs as u can for a whole day working for someone else!!

maybe on your bad weeks offer reduced treatments - so your getting something !! ??

i do a facebook / text on slow days to clients saying 1/2 price massage today only (things like that) almost like the groupon offers!! lol!! i usually get at least 3/4 replys so im getting 60 more than i would have!

hope this helps and good luck whatever u decide to do!!

if you have a part time job then ur restricting potential income from your room- your losing time there.

why dont you try and generate new clients and offers etc - use your time to try and promote the job you have!

when you work for yourself then you need all ur energy for that - i did part time work to help with bills etc - but i couldnt commit to both!
so i focused on building my clientèle - i can earn the same in two hrs as u can for a whole day working for someone else!!

maybe on your bad weeks offer reduced treatments - so your getting something !! ??

i do a facebook / text on slow days to clients saying 1/2 price massage today only (things like that) almost like the groupon offers!! lol!! i usually get at least 3/4 replys so im getting 60 more than i would have!

hope this helps and good luck whatever u decide to do!!

Thanks for the reply iv tried offers and got no interest. I gave £5 off treatments over £15 to people having their hair done and got none back. People in my town just aren't spending money I'm hoping summer will bring more spray tans in and minx toes.
Yeh it's a good idea to do reduced treatments on bad days I might try that. Thankyou

do the hair dressers help promote your treatments?? try and use an incentive scheme for them - you will give the free treatment or something for every 5 or so clients they get u??

If there are clients getting there hair done i always make them feel like there getting a really special offer by saying 'ive just had a cancellation have you got 20 mins for a half price facial' i always make out im really busy but 'as its them' i will squeeze them in etc.

do you retail any products??? maybe you should consider investing a selection of products as this can really boost your income!

do the hair dressers help promote your treatments?? try and use an incentive scheme for them - you will give the free treatment or something for every 5 or so clients they get u??

If there are clients getting there hair done i always make them feel like there getting a really special offer by saying 'ive just had a cancellation have you got 20 mins for a half price facial' i always make out im really busy but 'as its them' i will squeeze them in etc.

do you retail any products??? maybe you should consider investing a selection of products as this can really boost your income!

Thankyou for reply yes iv been looking in to retailing iv been researching lots of products.
The problem with the incentive scheme for the hairdressers is they are all male lol! There are work experience girls just on one day though. I'm driving myself insane.

congrats on the new house! :D

i understand that bills need to be paid etc. but i agree with what has already been said... if you want to work for yourself then you've got to stick at it and not just give up on it. every hour you are working for somebody else is an hour you can't work on building up your own business. if you don't already live together then how do you know what your actual out goings will be? you might be worrying for absolutely nothing.

do people know where you are? is there banners/a boards/window displays letting passers by know you exist? i'm assuming the hairdressers have a mailing list of clients, have they/could they let their existing hair clients know about you? are the hairdressers interested in having an open evening? it could get them some new clients too. do you have your own website? retail is obviously a good way to make extra but you need to get the clients in first so they can buy it... no point products sat on a shelf collecting dust so i'd invest the money in advertising and then invest in retail products/a larger retail selection at a later date, obviously make sure you've got the basics like solar oil. ask the hair dressers if you are ok to go inthe salon and give their hair clients a taster treatment as their colour is developing or as they are having their hair washed. a massage costs literally nothing as does a file and polish but it makes the world of difference to hands and confidence and as they can actually see what is on their hands it will keep you as a reminder in their mind and they are again a walking advert 'oh such and such abody did my nails at such and such a salon'. can you and the hairdressers not get together and think of some packages? hair up, spray tan, file and polish type thing? do you offer mens treatments? alot of men don't like going to salons full of females but as you're in a male environment it's not as intimidating to them so start advertising mens treatments eg. waxing. ask your friends and family to put up flyers/leave business cards around for you in their work/college/uni staff rooms/communal rooms and in return give them a free treatment. don't forget to always carry your own business cards and flyers around with you too. x

Latest posts

Back