Young teens & hair colour!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenny miles

Reaction score
Hii, just wondered what everyone thinks about colouring 'young teenagers' hair? I am a mobile hairdresser & as a rule i wont do any chemical treatments on childrens hair, however a client of mine has a 13yr old daughter who has been colouring her own hair for a year now and she's asked me to do her colour! The problem i have with this is the fact that i'm not sure this 'child' is actually sure she knows what she wants even though her mum is happy for her to have it done! What do you guys think about this & what would you do? would you say yes or no to colouring her hair?x:eek:

i totaly understand, i dont do it either but in this case i think i would coz if she has been doing it her self for ages, am guessing its a box job so shell be damaging her even more. with you doing it professionally her hair will be in better nick then if she continues to box dye. hope this has helped alittle

its a tricky one i think 13 is not a bad age really i think i first had my hair hi lighted at that age i wouldnt do it to any younger ones tho ..
i was mortified to see our wacky nieghbour who must try bleach his own hair with wot i am guessing must be 10 vol must have had a go at his sons hair the kid is about 6 and has these horrific lookin hi lites in , the poor kid i couoldnt stop staring at him :eek: my sons 10 and i wouldnt even contemplate doing his

I'm not entirely against it, I just feel uncomfortable doing it.
I had to do a full head foils on a 13yr old the other week, and told her mum I didn't feel great doing it as of her age, but she wasn't bothered.
She had had it done before(not by our salon, but a mobile h/d), so its not like shes new to H/Ls any way?
I did tell the mum that I advise against it because "Their hair is still young and fine and hasn't properly "grown" and isnt as strong as adults hair" but like I said, she wasnt botherd :(:confused:

But! Goldwell sent us a catalogue/brochure and mentioned a new rule(/law change?) stating that by the end of the year, all colouring products will have "Not to be applied to under16s" warning on them ! :eek:

Kind of good I guess - But it probably wont be listened to?

Aww, thanks guys i'm glad you know what i mean i really hate having to deal with kids having colour i always feel like its wrong!!! :rolleyes:x

I recently posted this on a previous thread - it was in the Goldwell magazine.

'EU Directive Colour for Under 16's

You may notice that on Goldwell Color products there is a new guideline appearing that states: "THIS PRODUCT IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE ON PERSONS UNDER THE AGE OF 16".
This recommendation comes from the EU Commission and must be stated on all oxidative and non-oxidative coloration products by November 2011.'

This is not on my present cans of Goldwell Topchic but I guess will be soon.

I think it brings up lots of issues, such as -
Insurance will not cover you even if you and parent are prepared to colour an under 16's hair.
Do we need to ID anyone who looks under 16?
Do/will box colours sold in shops have this on them too? If not it seems very unfair.
If an under 16 colours their hair somehow and it is a disaster, who will fix it if a salon is not allowed to?
Also we all know some hairdressing businesses will not follow this recommendation.
We do not have a big demand for colouring under 16's hair but I would not colour hair of anyone under 14 and then only with parent permission and by that I mean parent coming in with them and being fully involved in consultation process.

What does everyone think about this. x

I would do it 13 isn't so young x
I was bleaching mine at 14 and dyeing bits pink then blue then red then purple then whatever else!
If you don't she'll only go somewhere else or continue doing it herself at home x

Latest posts

Back