Your nail rooms/salons-garage conversions/summer house?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraBo

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am setting up my new nail business and wanted to build a room in the garden. Upon getting quotes, it seems I could be looking at somewhere in the region of 2-3k. I was hoping for a timber framed building with a proper tiled roof. I am now trying to rethink of what to do as in all honesty id rather be spending much closer to a grand.
Have any of you got like a wooden summer house? How does this work in the cold? Im thinking this could possibly be insulated. Anyone had a garage conversion? I think if I go this route it would be half a single garage worth of conversion, would that be big enough? Anyone have a rough idea on cost? Again how does that work in the winter? Our garage is detached and has a door already into it from the garden. Anyone got any pics or advice?!?
At the moment I have no room in the house that I would like to use, hoping to get an extension next year but would prefer it to be detached from the house if possible.

Xxxx

I'm hoping to turn a large brick shed into a nail and beauty room. My issue is getting electric and water into it. That's going to be the most expensive bit I think.

Lucky you have a building though! I'm thinking water may not be absolutely necessary? (Others may beg to differ!) I went on a course that was held in a conservatory type building and she had a hot water urn type thing and a massive cold water jug with a tap at the front. Im happy for clients to use our downstairs loo and kitchen for hand washing etc.

Hi, I converted my garage last year, half a single garage and its plenty big enough, I've also got a couch that fits easily as I had my desk custom made and its on castors so I can move it easily. I've never looked back, best thing I did!
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1439192764.963011.jpg

Omg I love it! Also your desk looks great. Really looks like a 'proper' room. Do you access this through your house of is it separate? X

lisav can I ask what shelves you are using for your polishes on wall pls I need something similar? also I asked a similar question about cabins yesterday on the business section and a lady was quite helpful with her reply. have a look x

Hi, I converted my garage last year, half a single garage and its plenty big enough, I've also got a couch that fits easily as I had my desk custom made and its on castors so I can move it easily. I've never looked back, best thing I did! View attachment 189695

How do you get electric in there? And how much did it cost to do so?
It's lovely [emoji4]

Thanks everyone! I do love it so much! Our garage is attached to our house so I access through the study, clients have to come through the front door, thought the lounge and study but it's not a problem.
The shelves are from ikea, they are actually picture shelves (Ribba) but they were about £5 each and are perfect!
The total cost was around £9,000 so pricey but we had to have extra joists put in and loft hatch moved etc plus the flooding cost a fortune! There's no central heating in there but the heater is great in there. The electricity was put in as part of the conversation, we had light and electricity in the garage anyway so I just had loads of sockets put in!
xxx

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1454538829.954589.jpg
this is my garage conversion [emoji4]

Hi

I'm currently in the process of erecting my log cabin/summer house in the garden to work from. I have purchased it from dunster house. I've budgeted around £3k for the cabin and base, flooring and painting (my husband is doing all of it as he is an engineer). It will cost another £1-2k for furniture and my kit. The cabin is double glazed, has double doors and is 6ft 6' x 13ft 1' I think.

I wont have water to it but will only really need it for pedicures and the kitchen is literally next door so don't mind popping in for that as I don.t offer facials.

Its under the planning rules for height etc so no need to apply for permission. I did lots of research first - looked at companies who make and install them - compared prices, looked at the £1000 summer houses, went to walk round quite a few. For a company to come and do it it was going to cost nearly £7000 and that was in the sale for a small all singing and dancing number, however the timber was fairly thin and despite looking the part I wondered how well they last!! The cheaper houses do (IMO) look more 'shed' like. My original plan was to spend around that amount but as you can see it has escalated somewhat!! I have chosen one of medium thickness and have added extra insulation to the base and roof. The delivery people were ace and gave my husband loads of tips. We were planning on insulating the walls and covering with tongue and groove but he advised us not to as said they get really warm with a small heater in :)

My mum has a theory in life...what ever you plan to do with a cost in mind - double that original cost and you'll be somewhere about right!! Her theory is always right (Unfortunately!) however it is worth thinking about!

Hi

I'm currently in the process of erecting my log cabin/summer house in the garden to work from. I have purchased it from dunster house. I've budgeted around £3k for the cabin and base, flooring and painting (my husband is doing all of it as he is an engineer). It will cost another £1-2k for furniture and my kit. The cabin is double glazed, has double doors and is 6ft 6' x 13ft 1' I think.

I wont have water to it but will only really need it for pedicures and the kitchen is literally next door so don't mind popping in for that as I don.t offer facials.

Its under the planning rules for height etc so no need to apply for permission. I did lots of research first - looked at companies who make and install them - compared prices, looked at the £1000 summer houses, went to walk round quite a few. For a company to come and do it it was going to cost nearly £7000 and that was in the sale for a small all singing and dancing number, however the timber was fairly thin and despite looking the part I wondered how well they last!! The cheaper houses do (IMO) look more 'shed' like. My original plan was to spend around that amount but as you can see it has escalated somewhat!! I have chosen one of medium thickness and have added extra insulation to the base and roof. The delivery people were ace and gave my husband loads of tips. We were planning on insulating the walls and covering with tongue and groove but he advised us not to as said they get really warm with a small heater in :)

My mum has a theory in life...what ever you plan to do with a cost in mind - double that original cost and you'll be somewhere about right!! Her theory is always right (Unfortunately!) however it is worth thinking about!

Hey katy ive been looking at dunster house myself, would you recommend them? Do you have any pics?

Just a thought ladies. If you have a room specifically for a business purpose I think you'll find you're liable for business rates. I'm no expert it's just what someone else told me but definately worth checking out. The rules may have changed or they might actually not cost that much but may be safer to check so you can decide.

Hey katy ive been looking at dunster house myself, would you recommend them? Do you have any pics?

Hi - yes I do have a picture, I'll see if I can upload it, its still work in progress although has windows and is painted now since this picture was taken last week. It has taken my husband around 15 hours in total to get it to the stage in the picture. It was very easy for him and he has built it on its own.

The cabin is amazing quality and has been admired by all of our neighbours. Its very cosy and well worth the money, better than any of the show ones we went to look at which used alot thinner wood.

So far we have had no problems with dunster - they arrived when they said they would, helped unload the pieces (there are lots!) and gave some tips and advice. The pack was complete, we have not had to contact them about anything and the online video of how to assemble is spot on. Lets just pray it doesn't leak!! Lol!

Re - rates, I am of the understanding that as long as the overall usage of the house has not changed or is used for multi-purpose then business rates do not apply. Ours will be used as spare accomodation for when the relatives visit........ in any case, if your council is different then you could most probably apply for an exemption as you would be a small business.

ps - my cabin comes under the height for planning also so no need to apply for permission

Sorry its not a great picture - I will post some more when it's finished!!

Attachments

• cabin.png
    cabin.png
    437.4 KB · Views: 346
Hi, I converted my garage last year, half a single garage and its plenty big enough, I've also got a couch that fits easily as I had my desk custom made and its on castors so I can move it easily. I've never looked back, best thing I did! View attachment 189695

Looks perfect!
Can I ask where you got your desk from? x

Hi ladies sorry to jump on this asite can see your nails and beauty I'm hoping to start a hair salon from a summer house.. has anyone come across any problems with waste water?thanks xx

Just a thought ladies. If you have a room specifically for a business purpose I think you'll find you're liable for business rates. I'm no expert it's just what someone else told me but definately worth checking out. The rules may have changed or they might actually not cost that much but may be safer to check so you can decide.

Yes you are correct, if your room, garage, summer house etc. is solely used for business then you have to pay non domestic rates. However, I know someone who put a laptop in there and stated it was used as her home study after business hours.

hello do you have any further pictures, can you give me an idea of cost and how much of the work you did yourself. It looks fabulous. Well done you.

Latest posts

Back